Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: 20g lead ban ?

20g lead ban ?

Has this been put to bed or is it still . I'm replacing my shotgun and am in two minds wether to get a 20g as most my shooting is on easy ponds and uplands . Lead will be my issue and I've never followed where this is heading . Any be kind as to fill me in
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

I, for one have never understood how the lead fired from a 20 gauge differs from the lead fired from a 12 gauge...I really would like someone to enlighten me.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

heres it in a nutshell
    4% of shooters use sub gauges. (under 12g)
    southland fish and gayme wanted to restrict these 4% and make them suffer the poor performance of steel just like everyone else.
    they kicked a hornets nest and had their arse handed to them by the local members who are sick to death of do gooders who think they are doing the rite thing by self inflicting restrictions on law abiding shooters in an attempt to appease the anti gunners (anti everyfuckingthingers) . (who will only stop when ALL shooting is banned full stop, but thats another subject)
    so they have continued on their campaign (fuck knows why?) by submitting their recommendations to the national body in an attempt to get them to impose these restrictions.
    short story long, if the current sitting members dont get told where to go next elections i suppose we deserve everything we get......
    greg

And if I remember correctly greghud the national body vetoed it. So the lead ban in sub gauges is dead in the water at this stage.
    Bob Da Browning likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

YAY go 16 gauge.
    I only hope those concerned way down South are voted off!!
    END OF STORY.
    Greghud, good version of events.
    mikee likes this.

i doubt it gadg,as we know the mooters of the proposal wont generally take NO for an answer so i'd suspect its still bubbling away quietly on the edge of the fire awaiting a reintroduction if opportunity presents.

Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post
    i doubt it gadg,as we know the mooters of the proposal wont generally take NO for an answer so i'd suspect its still bubbling away quietly on the edge of the fire awaiting a reintroduction if opportunity presents.
    I agree, that's why I said at this stage. Hopefully this provokes local action at election time.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

This rule seriously confuses the general public, it seems absolutely ridiculous that you can use lead in all sub gauges but not in 12....

go buy some steel shot for your 16, 20, 28 and 32 gauge, and grab a box of steel for the kids 410. then you will see the lack of confusion. ya cant get it. and because there is only a very small proportion of shooters using them (4% are sub gauges) there really is no point. also steel is bloody useless in a 12g can you imagine the performance out of a sub gauge?
    greg

im not disagreeing, just stating a fact that the rule is ridiculous in a logical sense

Quote Originally Posted by greghud View Post
    go buy some steel shot for your 16, 20, 28 and 32 gauge, and grab a box of steel for the kids 410. then you will see the lack of confusion. ya cant get it. and because there is only a very small proportion of shooters using them (4% are sub gauges) there really is no point. also steel is bloody useless in a 12g can you imagine the performance out of a sub gauge?
    greg
    Pretty sure there is steel for a 20g, think NZhunter done a write up on using it a few years ago. iirc it was Kent
    VIVA LA HOWA

PerazziSC3, another day, different post!!! I agree it is confusing, but being biased the owner of 3 16 gauges I'd fight for the status quo.
    I'm suprised that it is only 4% with sub guages, in the two groups I'm lucky enough to shoot in there is always 2/4 sub gauges.
    The way retailers are speaking you would think that 20 Ga. has taken over, obviously not so.
    I suppose if they ban subbies totally I'll have to trade in the old 1187 and buy a 3 1/2 " Benelli, and start throwing steel all over the place.
    Leave well alone I say!!

I love my 16 ga Merkel for ducks so I hope I never see 16 ga steel for sale. It was made long before someone dreamed up the idea of shooting steel out of a shotgun. It does give the rangers a rush of blood when they ask if we are all using steel and I reply no with a blank look on my face.
    Velocity is thrilling,but diameter does the real killing.

the statistics dont lie, have a look at the volume of sub gauge ammo sold vs 12g and it tells the tail.
    i think the sub gauge ban talk is the reason everyone thinks there is far more 20g, it is just what is topical at the moment.
    i have a 410 for the kids, but i dont personally shoot with anyone else that shoots sub gauge, and i shoot with quite a number of shooters.
    greg

greghud I wasn't disputing the facts at all, I was just suprised as those statistics. BUT that is I suppose the issue. I'll be down at Target Products next Wednesday picking up our traps for the weekend, so I'll see how they see it, just out of interest. It would be hard to attribute all the 12 ga game ammo sold as 'duck shooting', but I suppose if its around that time then it would be logical really....
    Either way personally I hope it just goes away, which is odd with us writing about it, or perhaps just common sence will prevail.
    Last edited by madds; 19-03-2014 at 01:47 PM.