Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: 28 Gauge

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar

28 Gauge

Anyone shooting a 28g?
    Any issues with them being a bit lighter than a 20g or 12g.
    Was wanting it as a versatile sporter. Stationary ducks to upland game. Is it going to cut it?
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

hi the twenty eight will do the job as long as you can i shoot all gauges and i love the 28 for its lite weight and speed you can get her into action its more suited to upland than a duck gun but it will do ,if its going to be your main shooting stick i think you should go with the 20 though as most guns here in nz the 28,s are just 20g actions with 28g barrels and so they weigh the same and in some cases are heaveyer then the 20g so the handling is no different ,one of my 20,s weights 2.5kg !if you are going to spend some good coin you can get a nice rizzini or fair that are built on true 28g frames then you have a very nice shottie indeed .there is no difference in hitting power between the two just the 28 has less pellets ie thinner patterens ;the 20 has a long shot string though ,i have found on quial that if i use cylinder choke on the 20 i use quater on the 28 just to tighten the patteren a little .if you do go 28 and after ducks i have found the wincester 1 oz loads work good and dont go skybusting ,if your going to be in the naki you are wellcome to try out a couple of 20s and 28s cheers
    jakewire, mikee and Tommy like this.

Cheers @MAJOR F. To be fair I'm far from a decent shot with a shotgun so any gauge may be a challenge. Great info you have there too thanks. No point in going to a lighter gauge and not reap the benefits. I think a 20g will be more what I need or even a 12. I just liked the idea of of a lighter, faster pointing shotty.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Cheers @MAJOR F. To be fair I'm far from a decent shot with a shotgun so any gauge may be a challenge. Great info you have there too thanks. No point in going to a lighter gauge and not reap the benefits. I think a 20g will be more what I need or even a 12. I just liked the idea of of a lighter, faster pointing shotty.
    Get a 12 mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes, the 28ga is lovely to shoot,but requires good skill/judgement.if you are going the semi-auto way,new. take a good look at the weatherby,also there is a near new 20ga on trademe.i have a rizzini RB in 28ga,but it is an indulgence,i find myself shooting more with the 20 ga.i love doubles,but if i could only have one gun on a budget, i would go for a benelli m2 20ga second hand.wonderful handling guns and adjustable to the individual.

also zoli make a great field gun 20ga ,well priced.check out mai mai supplies.

R93
    Lighter and faster is almost a myth to be fair.
    I shoot an F3 (34" heavy) for upland and targets and a smelly Benelli 20 G (light) for everything else.
    I do not notice any difference or need to change anything with either to fill my bag or smash a clay. Shotgunning is all about timing.
    Technique will give you time no matter what the target or start position.

If your swinging a gun along time after you mount it, to hit or miss then maybe you need to adjust your style or a lightish gun will suit you.
    Get a 20 or a 12. You will soon realize you need to have done a bit of shooting with success, to operate a light gauge gun and you would just sell it for something bigger if you are not put off in the first place.

When you come down for a cham we can sort you out on some clays and gun choice.
    That is if I ever get out of here with all the snow😆

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by lophortyx View Post
    also zoli make a great field gun 20ga ,well priced.check out mai mai supplies.
    Didn't even think about Zoli. I have a wonderful contact in the US for these! May be a bit too short notice for this season though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Lighter and faster is almost a myth to be fair.
    I shoot an F3 (34" heavy) for upland and targets and a smelly Benelli 20 G (light) for everything else.
    I do not notice any difference or need to change anything with either to fill my bag or smash a clay. Shotgunning is all about timing.
    Technique will give you time no matter what the target or start position.

If your swinging a gun along time after you mount it, to hit or miss then maybe you need to adjust your style or a lightish gun will suit you.
    Get a 20 or a 12. You will soon realize you need to have done a bit of shooting with success, to operate a light gauge gun and you would just sell it for something bigger if you are not put off in the first place.

When you come down for a cham we can sort you out on some clays and gun choice.
    That is if I ever get out of here with all the snow

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    You're right (I think). There's a F3 on Trademe at the mo!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

C404 has invested in one due to a longstanding shoulder reconstruction ,and on his first outing (and being the great mate he is )he presented me with two luvly fat canada geese both cleanly knocked arse over elbow out of the flightpath!
    Dinky wee Akbaar he has
    .The only downside i see is with DOC now having complete authority over Lake Ellesmere, he'll be required to shot steel ammo for ducks .it appears at this point ,that this is almost unobtainable in NZ (source GSP follower)

r93.blasers may be very nice guns and lovely to shoot,but its not the gun i would enjoy carrying around hills,riverbeds all day,give a well balanced 20 ga,oh yeah way to go.the zoli's are a class gun,for $3500 very good. at the end of the day it depends on you're shooting,waterfowl or upland etc. after all you wouldn't play golf with just the one club.

28 Gauge

Quote Originally Posted by lophortyx View Post
    r93.blasers may be very nice guns and lovely to shoot,but its not the gun i would enjoy carrying around hills,riverbeds all day,give a well balanced 20 ga,oh yeah way to go.the zoli's are a class gun,for $3500 very good. at the end of the day it depends on you're shooting,waterfowl or upland etc. after all you wouldn't play golf with just the one club.
    I was a porter for R93s F3 and it was no chore to carry.
    I'd really only be a weekend warrior with a smoothbore so I am not too keen to invest too much into one yet. I have a good mate who represents Zoli for the East Coast of the U.S. If I get into it I may see if he can bring one in for me.

Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post
    C404 has invested in one due to a longstanding shoulder reconstruction ,and on his first outing (and being the great mate he is )he presented me with two luvly fat canada geese both cleanly knocked arse over elbow out of the flightpath!
    Dinky wee Akbaar he has
    .The only downside i see is with DOC now having complete authority over Lake Ellesmere, he'll be required to shot steel ammo for ducks .it appears at this point ,that this is almost unobtainable in NZ (source GSP follower)
    Is that an Akkar? I saw a 12g Churchill on TM that looked pretty OK.

yeah ,thats the one .apologies for the mistake. bloody nice wee weapon all round

Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post
    yeah ,thats the one .apologies for the mistake. bloody nice wee weapon all round
    Do you recall if the stock had any cast in it? I need a straight one being a lefty.