Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree26Likes
  • 1 Post By Marty Henry
  • 1 Post By schwen
  • 1 Post By Marty Henry
  • 2 Post By Peteforskeet
  • 4 Post By johnd
  • 1 Post By threefootsix
  • 2 Post By Quackers
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck
  • 2 Post By Rock river arms hunter
  • 5 Post By Savage1
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck
  • 3 Post By Savage1

Thread: Akkar Churchill UO

Akkar Churchill UO

Does anyone have any experience with or know much about the Akkar Churchill UO, model 812?

A chap at the club champs lent me one to try instead of the semi, and I shot really well with it. Even won the C Grade HOA.
    He's offered it for sale, and to be honest I initially had in mind an UO with a better pedigree, but for around $1000, it seems to be a good shooter.
    It's got adjustable comb, interchokes (C, IC, IM, F & F but no M so I shot with IM & F.

I don't know enough (anything) about UO shotguns to be a good judge of what is probably a third hand gun.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Grab it, I know several A graders who have them. There's a bit of snob factor that goes with shot gunning, when I started I had a lanber and was laughed at but it fitted me and I shot very well with it.
    I was looking at an akkar as a "nicer gun" but ended up with a rizzini off a forum member
    schwen likes this.

Peter
    For not much more money you could find a miroku, twice the gun, best value for money in the country.
    The Turkish guns aren't proven for high use yet

Quote Originally Posted by Peteforskeet View Post
    For not much more money you could find a miroku, twice the gun, best value for money in the country.
    I hear what you say, and an Akkar would ordinarily be my last choice! Incidentally, I won a brand new Akkar Churchill semi-auto in a shooting competition some months ago (the lucky number door prize!) and it was definitely a "cheap-and-cheerful". I gave it away to a young shooter friend without firing it even once.

That said, my initial thoughts for an UO was a new Beretta 694 (within my budget) but one well-experienced shooter suggested I'd get better value by keeping an eye and ear out for a good second hand DT10. I'm still thinking along those lines, and this Akkar might be useful as a temporary solution to avoid the need for the semi at the traps while I'm looking and waiting for a DT10 to come up for sale. Once I started using the Akkar, some shooters told me they don't like me using a semi when I'm in their squad.

If I keep it for a year or so, and put 150 rounds though it per weekend, that's about 7,500 rounds. I don't know, but that doesn't sound too high use? If it's scrap by then, that's not too high of a price to pay for some UO experience, given I've never owned or used one prior to the weekend.

There are some scrap (parts only) Akkar semi-autos for sale at GunCity, but I've not found any evidence or stories of them blowing up. And I'm using target loads, not field loads.
    Micky Duck likes this.

The semis have a bit of a rep or being as you say cheap and cheerful but the it o/u and sxs guns are quite a different beastie.
    Berettas have always given me "Beretta cheek" , but they have a deserved reputation and are wonderful marketers.
    Second hand quality guns are quite common so keep looking if you wish but the akkar would be a good stop-gap for sure.
    Last edited by Marty Henry; 08-08-2022 at 11:27 AM.
    schwen likes this.

Peter
    From my experience berretas are to dear for what you get.
    A 694 for example retails at nearly 8k.
    For what is a fairly ordinary gun.
    Grade 5 miroku m10 around half the price and same quality.
    Just my opinion for what its worth.
    And i dont even shoot a miroku although i do own one.
    schwen and Martyb249 like this.

Or a Miroku reject....I think they market them as a brown clitoris . Something like that.
    jakewire, mikee, m101a1 and 1 others like this.

As turkish guns go, the Akkar O/Us seem to be pretty good quality. A friend had been using a Akkar 206 trap for a while and decided to upgrade to a new SKB. The akkar is definitely a higher quality item then the SKB! Neither is going to have the life a Miroku or Browning however.
    If the 812 fits you and you enjoy shooting it, it's probably not a bad option while you're waiting for the right gun to come along. My experience is that 'right' gun doesn't usually appear when you're looking for it, but just after you've bought something else.
    I'm not fussed on Beretta - it seems they're more interested in their branding than the guns they produce.
    As pete suggested, you could get an as-good ,if not better Miroku for half the money of a new 694, or a very nice Browning 725 Pro-trap High rib for about the same $.
    schwen likes this.

And older Japanese skb are good I have one and a miroku. Just be careful if you buy a older miroku with Lever type springs and they break you will not be able to buy any. Trust me I tried and resorted to making my own replacement ones out of spring steel.
    Micky Duck and schwen like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Peteforskeet View Post
    Ive heard the same said about Spanish guns......yet some of us are still using them 45 years after purchase and many thousands of rounds later,much use and abuse,many solid slugs and some dreadful days in pouring rain....guess every gun has to proove itself over time,but you have to give it time to do so..catch 22
    kotuku and schwen like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I had a Churchill 205.

Stupidly sold it. One of those guns you shouldn't but you do sell .

It was the bees knees and if you are considering one I do regrettingly as a Beretta owner rate them.
    Micky Duck and schwen like this.

I shot trap with a u/o Akkar

Brilliant gun, even got the Northland HOA with it against guns worth 10-20x what I paid. That’s the great thing about trap shooting, it’s not about who has the most money. I put thousands of rounds through mine with zero issues, not a single problem.

I only sold it as I got offered a Browning B725 Protrap for crazy cheap.
    mikee, erniec, Micky Duck and 2 others like this.

the old saying...whats the best shotgun???? the one that fits YOU and shoots to point of point without effort....yip I meant to type point of point.....
    Marty Henry and schwen like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I forgot to add, I shoot no better with the browning either.

My Akkar had a slightly higher rib and a adjustable cheek riser.

Don’t hesitate to buy an Akkar, I’d happily buy another one, I should never have sold the one I had.
    Marty Henry, Micky Duck and schwen like this.

GC have got an Akkar trap with montecarlo, adjustable comb and mid-rib at the Dunedin branch at the moment. Looks like a 206 Trap. Wood looks tidy, stock is un-molested. Could be worth a look for someone.