Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree15Likes
  • 1 Post By GSP HUNTER
  • 3 Post By Woody
  • 1 Post By gsp follower
  • 1 Post By mikee
  • 1 Post By gsp follower
  • 5 Post By Pointer

Thread: Back into Upland - shotgun questions

Back into Upland - shotgun questions

Since my GSP Gustav made his way to the hunting grounds of Valhalla, several seasons back
    I lost my passion combined with lock downs but I'm back, had a great few hunts on the roosters and ducks and ready to hit the hills

I've got my Berretta extrema 12g for the ducks which is my waterfowl work horse but it's a tad on the hefty side for big walks.

Do I run a light weight 20g or just go with O/U 12g?

I've been looking at second hand 20 gauges, U/O Miroku, Rizzini and a few very light weight Turkish semis which fit but I'm not sure a semi is right
    from a safety and carry in the rough terrain POV.

I'd be interested in your experience, pros and cons of a 20g, thoughts and set ups that have worked for you.

Thanks in advance.
    dannyb likes this.

Comes down to weight, gunfit and balance. I mainly use 20 & 28ga for all .y hunting but I also have a imp cyl old super saive 12ga which I put away when lead was bànned for wetland shooting with that calibre. I used it with bismuth on waterfowl this year and it is a lovely upland game gun too.
    You could go 20 or 28 ga but a fine alternative would be to acquire a nice old browning and shorten the barrels and use it cyl with 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 oz 7s. This gives a great pattern with more lead in the air than the smaller calibres and reasonably light and fast handling. Nothing wrong with 20 28 ga though but I usually need to shoot 1/4- 3/4 choke for 20ga and 1/2 - 3/4 choke with the 28 for dense enough patterns especially if using 6 shot on roosters and that means less margins for error. Roosters will go down with 7 shot (lead) at 40m no problem if patter n is dense enough.
    Pointer, GSP HUNTER and Micky Duck like this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

20 gauge with win AA 9 ,s brilliant on close flushing quail over a pointer or flushing dog.
    all my pheasants down here taken with gamebore 30 gram 7,s first shot backed up by the same shot wieght in 5,s /6,s. for the 2nd which i never needed while havin a dog
    .if you feel under shot wieghted the fiocchi 20 gauge 2 3/4 inch 32 gram loads will take even geese at normal hunting ranges the 5.s should assuage any under gunned fears
    the 2,s deadly on even the largest honkers
    most guns shoot 7,s or 6,s well but some of the turk semis have problems with light trap loads.
    1 1/4 0r 1 1/2 ounce 12g loads sound like overkill to .
    Last edited by gsp follower; 28-07-2021 at 07:32 PM.
    GSP HUNTER likes this.

I use a 20 u/o with 24gm trap loads of 7's currently but if I were to start from scratch I would use 28ga SxS (if I could find one)

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    I use a 20 u/o with 24gm trap loads of 7's currently but if I were to start from scratch I would use 28ga SxS (if I could find one)
    @mikee I'm pretty sure there was a Turkish 28 gauge SxS in Nelson H&F (a pox be upon them) for a reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by rockland View Post
    @mikee I'm pretty sure there was a Turkish 28 gauge SxS in Nelson H&F (a pox be upon them) for a reasonable price.
    I better go look perhaps, cheers
    GSP HUNTER likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    I better go look perhaps, cheers
    thats the absurdity of the new regime
    if you wanted to 28 gauge ducks you,d be scratching to find a suitable non toxic load country wide
    aint it funny the one rule for all only seems to apply to gamebird hunters/ gunowners
    Woody likes this.

Regarding the 28 bore - while I have one it's certainly not as versatile as the 20 bore. When you start packing 1oz loads into one you give away a lot in terms of velocity, and the 20 is much better at slinging 1oz loads. Using the 3/4oz loads the 28 is designed for is OK with #7 to #9 shot for quail, but when you go #6 upwards you lose alot in pellet count. A good quail and early season rooster gun within reasonable ranges, but that's it. Would wholeheartedly recommend the 20 for all upland - so much more versatile.

Took my 28 bore down south this week for my second chukar trip of the season. Did I feel undergunned? A little. The shots can be quite long on chukar and I will stick to my 20 in future.

Name:  20210729_104317.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  8.66 MB