Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By Huntfisheat
  • 1 Post By Huntfisheat

Thread: Beretta A300

Beretta A300

So I traded the SKB HS300 I bought 2 months ago on a Beretta A300 Outlander.
    Heres my 2 cents worth on it after 100 rounds.
    It has a wonderful fit for me, straight out of the supplied case. Swung it up to shoulder, opened my eyes and there it was, all lined up sweet, so all good there.
    Took it straight out to one of my vineyards that I shoot on and put a box of 2 & 3/4 36g numbers 4's through it and then a dozen 26 gram 7.5 trap loads through the modified choke, one of three supplied including IC and full.
    Didnt miss a beat and the recoil is a little less than the SKB but it's nearly 1/2 a kg lighter.
    Fairly robust action and takes a fair pressure to cock. Bolt release needs a good firm push too.
    Fit and finish seems pretty good, but not A400 good by any means.
    They have a rep as being difficult to reassemble but if you do it in the right order it's easy enough.
    Swings well and bowled a couple of Starlings with it today, and a small rabbit.
    Real tree Max5 pattern all over, so should be easy to lose in grass.
    It will get a limb saver pad as soon as my local supplier can get one in. Also, Beretta make a gel pad for the stock that will save my 4 x broken jaw a hiding when I goose shoot with 3"magnums.
    I like the safety position in front of the trigger. Seems very natural especially for an ex military man.
    Came with a slight right cast which helps it fit and the supplied 1/2 inch stock spacer will work well with the limbsaver.
    What would I change?
    I'd love if it had the a300 shock reduction stock and I'd like the bolt handle and release to be bigger, but there are after market parts for that.
    It's a gun I carry every day for work and the balance is right for a one handed carry yet it has sling attach points too, which will be handy.
    Loading is easy and no nicked thumb. Cartridges just slide in easy as.
    Nice fiber optic red front sight, and that stands out well.
    Tossed up between that and a Remmie V3 but Remingtons continuing issues dashed that gun. No warranty at all other than FTA and CGA and potential difficulty with parts if Remmie dont continue it.
    All on all, a good, effective, fun, useful tool.

300 shells now. Not 1 single fault.
    Cleaned it last night. Didn't need it.
    stagstalker likes this.

Thanks for the review, I'm tossing up between an M2 and the a300. Like the a400 but not the price. Leaning towards the a300 in wood for an all-rounder as it will cycle light loads and has good recoil management for mag loads. The M2 is appealing for little the maintenance needed to keep it shooting well and a solid work horse operation. Just not sure how well it will cycle light loads and how well the ComforTech stock actually works on bigger loads. Good to read this, thanks.

The beretta family of semi auto guns you can't go wrong. I had my extrema 2 fail this season after 15 years and was the washer in the stock that had rusted thru. No idea how that happens and the stock came slightly loose. I have also just replaced the breech bolt pin which I believe in the new models is a bit soft and can suffer from squaring off where it hits the cam.

I put a limbsaver on mine and its soft as. The a400 a350 I think had a shitty recoil pad from standard that just fell apart.. Soft rubber. If it fails put something aftermarket on.

True, you can't go wrong with this family of guns. i have had a 3901 for about 10 years or so and it's been a great gun . It will see me out .

Swapped my m2 for a a400 lite so the boy didn’t get knocked around ,no issues so far..bit more to stripping and cleaning but not a heap more once you. Have done it a couple of times,self cleaning gas system as well.

Yeah will be nice to shoot. Just keep em on some more manageable loads. Don't need heavy loads to smash ducks. The limbsaver may make a diff when you get a chance and the shop is open open a pack and push on one they are rather soft.

Yea got one on my .308 ,he uses lighter loads to finish off the od wounded duck but the m2 has always had quite a punch to it ,I was always a bit bruised and headache after opening weekend.

Any one here think the a400 is worth the extra $1000? (base models, xplor etc)

The a350 I think is 1000 cheaper. Amd I'd say unless you want the foam in the mid section of the stock then save the money. It's where you point it that matters more

Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    The a350 I think is 1000 cheaper. Amd I'd say unless you want the foam in the mid section of the stock then save the money. It's where you point it that matters more
    I agree.
    A wise old friend told me once" if you are going to miss with a 2 3/4" load, you are going to miss with a 3 1/2" magnum , and the shot all goes at the same speed"

The a350 is still 3.5" but I'd say 3.5" shells aren't that popular anyhow it's the new age extrema 3 if there was one. Just cheaper than a a400. Mates have both and think from memory the stock and magazine cut off is the only feature the a350 doesn't have.

Yeah not really interested in shooting 3.5 shells, I'd prefer to shoot square loads when possible, but steel needs a bit more punch and payload when sizing up IMO but a 3" would be more than enough for most water fowl. Is the A350 just a 300 but with bigger receiver for 3.5" shells? I'll have to do some more homework. I like the look of the a400 Xplor and light/ultralite in wood but it's also $900 more expensive than the A300 outlander, which seems like a good gun for the coin...