Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By lophortyx

Thread: buying another shotgun

buying another shotgun

Name:  P1020569.JPG
Views: 582
Size:  175.0 KBName:  P1020570.JPG
Views: 606
Size:  297.7 KBi can't resist a good buy,however that interpretation always rests with the beholder.i'm not a big fan of semi-autos, although i'd be the first to agree that this segment has made big improvements over the last couple of decades. i don't exactly own one,but i have handled and shot a benelli m2,and i have always been impressed with the balance and pointability of this model.last year i bought a beretta a400,i did so because i began shooting a few geese and with steel shot etc.anyway i was only tempted when some bargain priced a400's came onto the market and i was able to secure a new one for under $1000 under rrp. i am impressed with these guns.if you only own one gun,they are an excellent choice.i also like benelli's.so when Gun City ran one of their $1 specials recently,there was a benelli raffaello 12 ga. for sale. a model i always coveted but these are rare beasts.now Gun City gets a bit of flak on these forums,but i always operate under buyer beware,so i try to be informed as possible.gun city in recent years have imported large numbers of shotguns from japan. many of them models we would never have seen previously here.some of these are great guns.most of these have short stocks,generally under 14 inches,however this can be overcome.also to look out for are cracked stocks/repairs etc.the descriptions in the $1 sales are only thereabouts.for instance on the benelli raffaello auction the chamber was described as 2 3/4's it wasn't- it was 3inch,stamped on the barrel was, suitable for 2 3/4 or 3 inch.hopefully that worked in my favour putting potential bidders off.i secured it for $625 which i regarded as a bargain.the gun was made in 1996,it had a full choke which i had reamed to 1/4 choke.(just a word here the benelli's barrels are chrome/moly great to open out,but do beware of chrome lined bores such are seen in SKB's and Baikals not always good to open out.)anyway i put a new pad and spacer(isis x pad)and got rid of the polyurethane finish for a hand rubbed oil finish,and for that $150 spent, got a gun far better than the cost of most new semi auto's.now i tested this alongside my beretta and firing 35gm falcons, there was no difference in recoil,though this may change if i went to heavier loads but i never do. so keep an eye out of those $1 auctions, there are plenty of remington 1100's and brownings that will make great waterfowl guns,check them out carefully and avoid the shorter barrels. cheers.
    puku and Toby like this.

looks like you got a bargain...now to shoot some ducks with it.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Very nice .
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Name:  Piotti-semi-auto-3.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  24.8 KBpiotti the maker of some of the most fabulous side by sides in the world,have now just released their first semi auto, styled on the benelli and launched on the usa market, if you would like one prices start at us$12,000. yes,people will always dream up ways to part you from your money.