Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: cutting shotgun down

cutting shotgun down

I am wanting to get a second hand side by side 12g shot gun but most I have seen of the old era have 30inch tunes -a little long for me . Is it easy enough to have a smith shorten these ? and what is the implication for chokes -can they be re choked ?
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

Westpac prefer 12" barrel length, all other banks are happy so long as under 16"
    There are probably any number of reasons why gun manufacturers make barrels to the length they do...but there is always someone out there that differs...just use a hacksaw...hammer the cut ends a bit for choke...weld the triggers together so you don't have to piss around finding the second one...
    Spanners, Savage1, mattdw and 1 others like this.

interesting Spook lol

Why not be different...have barrels at different lengths

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Isn't shortening a shotgun a "little sick bird"? You know, sort of "ill eagle"
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Just buy my boito coach gun cost you less than the mods

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Shotguns can be pretty damn short and still legal - have a look at Gun Shitty's "Farm Defence" model, its about 12 inches or something!

They will be long for a reason - like sight radius or so they swing better or something. Need a short one buy a short one - there are plenty of shorter shooters out there.

I asked this question on the other forum not long ago. theoretically the powder would be burnt quickly seeing as it is a fast burning type.
    Used a single barrel cut down for pig hunting and it was loud. very very loud.
    the long barrel serves two purposes swing Ie balance and getting the noise away from you ear.

chokes can be fitted if there is enough "meat" where you cut it back to. at approx 150 fitted each barrel

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclist View Post
    Shotguns can be pretty damn short and still legal - have a look at Gun Shitty's "Farm Defence" model, its about 12 inches or something!

They will be long for a reason - like sight radius or so they swing better or something. Need a short one buy a short one - there are plenty of shorter shooters out there.
    Still needs to be at least 762mm long or it will be considered a pistol.

R93
    The whole point of them being as long as they are is how they swing. A longer set of barrels also reduces percieved lead. My clay gun has 34" barrels, I regularly shoot 3 diciplines with it. Heaps and heaps of skeet with 3/4 chokes for club shoots and training.

But yes, you can machine down a set of barrels and fit chokes to it if you want to. An older gun has its challenges with ribs and such but it can be done.

The reason I asked was I find walking for hours with one that weighs a lot a drag .I have never been a water fowl shooter and only upland game which to be truthful haven't participated in for around 8 years bar 2 days a few months back -my own gun was a 20g and had barrels around 26inches - I suppose 4 inches of shotgun tube is bugger all in reality .Anyway just thinking out loud nd getting some opinions -cheers guys

A lot of misinformation on here, Nothing illegal about shortening the barrels on a rifle or shotgun as long as it stays about 30 inches total length.

As for the problem of chokes, if they are fixed you will end up with an open choked gun at worst, which is fine over pointing dogs as you are usually shooting a bird up the clacker at less than 20 metres anyway. If the gun is of thicker barrel wall construction, you could have it threaded for briley style multi-chokes.
    My go-to gun is a Miroku that started life as a 28 inch gun fixed choke half and full. After an accident it was shortened 2 inches, now it is choked just under half and quarter - more applicable for my type of shooting and it patterned better to boot.

You will find a lot of guys going back to 30+ inch barrel on double guns as they swing better. I have a 30 inch barreled Gorosabel here which is nice but choked a bit too much for my liking. Wasn't going to get it chopped as it feels nice as is, was thinking to get the chokes bored out. Nothing wrong with long barrels on a double barrel

Pointer , good info cheers

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    If its too heavy...
    Name:  41779_106408792736329_4866_n.jpg
Views: 1719
Size:  12.3 KB

Buy a semi - then you only have 1 barrel
    savagehunter likes this.

HAHAHA Good one Spanners --very true!!!