Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By r87mm
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck

Thread: goose loads 2

goose loads 2

For those interested I took on board some of the good advice I got and then decided to to do a small unscientific test hoping to change others in our group thoughts on steel or not. This is what I used and did:
    Kent 32gm 3" steel bb's 97 pellet count
    Falcon 36gm 3" steel o's( now 1'S) 131 pellet count
    Falcon 35gm 23/4"steel 2's 149 pellet count
    Falcon 40gm 23/4" lead 2's 142 pellet count
    I shot these loads into new empty 60 liter oil drums at 30,35,40, 50 yards.
    The 2 steel penetrated at 30 but not 35
    The 2 lead penetrated at 30 but not 35
    The o's steel penetrated at 30,35 but not 40
    The bb's went to 45 and a couple of pellets at 50.

The falcon 40gm of lead 2's seemed to be a very common load used so I was looking for an equal. I will say the lead looked closer to penetrating at 35y compared to the steel equivalent but really not much in it. From what I can see there's no disadvantage going from 2 lead to steel. Also no advantage in going going to 3' magnums as you get pretty much the same speed and pellet load. I'll probably go for the o's(1's) but wouldn't worry if 2 steel was only available. I did ring Falcon and asked if they intended to do a 40gm 3' load of 2's, 1's or bb's. His answer was no as not a big enough market for that size. Also the powders for steel are bulkier and the pressures needed to get those loads to an acceptable speed weren't doable. The 3' doesn't have a big enough increase in volume to do that. He even said there's little point in going to 3" for anything.They are changing the 0 size to 1 as after measuring it is closer to a 2 than a bb( my observation of the pellets I looked would agree.) Even the bb load can be useful as it should have a few more pellets than the old lead bb. On a side note I did a pattern test with my 391 using the m choke and ic choke. Both threw very similar sized patterns at 35yrds with the ic slightly more open but with a far better even spread. Also found I shoot very low and to the left. If anyone has or knows where I can get the bigger drop and cast spacers I would be keen as I'm missing the set There's none in stock through beretta for a few months.
    jakewire, Pointer, Bernie and 2 others like this.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Thanks for that mate , very informative.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

as Ive said before....the good old superX #2s were a great load and the modern Xpert steel#2 are great too.
    35 yards is far enough to be stretching barrel,heck I just love seeing the whites of thier beedy wee eyes popping when you jump up over dyke wall 10 yards from them and let your pump action start to sing....... have learnt on the big huas to keep shooting then stop and watch departing birds like a hawk as often a bird or two will drop up to 300 yards away stone dead with a pellet or 5 through lungs.
    jakewire likes this.

Trouble with drum test is it isn't equal to a goose and feathers etc. Just a penetration comparison on an equal medium. The drum could be and probably is harder than a goose but feathers are funny things for absorbing energy. I did fire a 32gm load of 3's at 30y and it didn't penetrate even though I know it would a incoming goose at that range as that's what I've been using. Probably at the end of it's limit not counting fluke shots. What it did do is really hit the drum hard and wobble it around.None of the other rounds moved it hardly at all. I put this down to the share amount of pellets as there's way more in 3's than 2's(about the same as the old lead 36gm of 4's). Would make a great duck load I'm guessing out to 35 maybe 40 yards and devastating in closer with the right chokes

yes 32grms of steel #3s is a great duck load.

if youre in CHCH go to Barry fosters stihl shop in blenhiem rd and ask barry for some "hull"34gm 3"solway magnums.trust me anything stopped by that generally aint gonna turn up at A&Eor be round to write a survival handbook. do not use on rabbits though-the boiler room is left messier than a kitchen after a kindergarten jam making exercise.
    what remains after those steel missiles have dessicated heart lungs etc is a mess the consistency of runny jam-just a tad pinker. Excellent shit just like their trap ammo which my guns run on. C404-&GSPF- Im twitching -if it flies it dies,if it hops it drops and as me stud career is finito -this is the only bloody time i gets a shot away.
    Fat ferals could do with a tup up lads!

Whats it worth a packet?