Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Lefty shooting right

Lefty shooting right

What's everyones thoughts on a lefty shooter using a right handed gun, still shooting left ?
    I have a feeling everyone can still 'learn' to shoot a different handed gun but would it make a big difference to how accurate it would be ?

As long as the stock isnt a dedicated rh style without cheek piece or palm swell it will make no difference. Look at Ian McCallum for inspiration.
    Micky Duck and kellyraz like this.

Be ok as long as stock is straight, not cast for right hander
    More likely to have cast if under / over or sxs. Most autos i have picked up are fairly neutral with out shim kits etc
    kellyraz likes this.

Been doing it for yonks. Love having the ejection port right in front of me. Bought several lefty rifles a while ago, and love the bolt on the far side but would have loved the ejection/loading port on RH side.

Im using ambi stocks or dedicated LH thumbhole stocks on my RH rifles. Works great. LH rifles is not all that common so I had to learn to make a RH rifle work. Dedicated RH stocks on a rifle makes it a pain to shoot though.

I've only got one issue - over the last few months some Range officers became a little over zelous in regards to "cone of fire" and having the gun in your shoulder when closing the bolt - something thats not always possible shooting a RH rifle from your left shoulder(except if you like smacking yourself in the face with a boltshrout).

I'm still using RH rifles - just learned to aim, lift head, close bolt, lower face, acquire target, send it.
    kellyraz likes this.

Quite good when shooting at the range because the port is right there to single feed rounds into the rifle.

Standing or kneeling, it needs a bit of upper body strength to hold the rifle level while working the bolt, because you end up using the support hand to do so. I find this is a bit slower (or requires a different technique) vs using a lefty rifle which is very natural.

Most of us lefties learnt on RH rifles - just because that was about to learn on.
    Not an issue for most of us - also have a mate who is right-handed but Left Eye dominant so shoots Leftie. Actually gives you more options. LH feels easier overall and with long actions you may need to break your cheek weld which is a pain (or eat your hand)

Never been an issue for me. But occasionally I find a rifle I really want and it's RH only (less than 15% produced in LH options) being able to shoot both is an advantage in those cases.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and streams, its where life is clear, where the world makes most sense!

Bit other way but when I got my shoulder rebuilt I shot all my guns left handed as the recoil hurt to much, I shot just as well as I did with my right, it just felt weird.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

This is for shotguns guys, if auto you may cop a shell to the nose
    BRADS likes this.

I have only 1 lefty gun out of all of mine and all my rifles have always been shot left handed for decades (being I'm a lefty). From the AR semi , 22 semi , 22 mag semi , shotty semi and pump , lever actions etc no issues at all . You get used to cases shooting across in front of your eyes ..... can be a bit intimidating with 45/70 and shotty to start with .
    The only problem is fast follow ups on right hand bolt actions as the hand supporting the front of the rifle is the one used to work the bolt . My 338 also has a right hand stock with the cheek swell on the wrong side for a lefty but again I don't find that an issue as it is not sharp edged on the off side as some of them are .

Some would say lefty shooting is the right way....
    born to hunt - forced to work

ebf
    I'm a lefty (yes, I'm "special" )

For prone, using a ambi stock, right bolt is no problem.

If you want to shoot from non prone positions and be able to manipulate the bolt, left bolt would be an advantage, but not essential.

Like most lefties I started with right bolt rifles. Have slowly been converting to left bolt as they became more common.
    Shearer, 57jl, Micky Duck and 1 others like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Quote Originally Posted by kellyraz View Post
    What's everyones thoughts on a lefty shooter using a right handed gun, still shooting left ?
    I have a feeling everyone can still 'learn' to shoot a different handed gun but would it make a big difference to how accurate it would be ?
    I shoot FTR left handed on a RH rifle as my RH son & I share rifles.
    My stocks don't have thumb holes and are essentially ambidextrous.
    As @ebf said there's no issue shooting prone from a fixed shooting position on a range.

Our Savage .223 has an ejector that would throw cases down the sleeve of my shirt, my Barnard .308s don't have ejectors.

Barnard do a dual port action for target rifles.

As long as you can correctly and repeated line your eye and your sights you can shoot accurately lef thanded on a right handed action.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pommy View Post
    Quite good when shooting at the range because the port is right there to single feed rounds into the rifle.

Standing or kneeling, it needs a bit of upper body strength to hold the rifle level while working the bolt, because you end up using the support hand to do so. I find this is a bit slower (or requires a different technique) vs using a lefty rifle which is very natural.
    I’m the opposite - I’m a lefty and when working the bolt I use my ‘trigger’ hand.
    Get some nasty bruises on the outside edge of my left hand when working a Lee Enfield bolt.

Of course with the Finnwolf there’s no issue!
    Micky Duck likes this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Have shot righthand auto's left handed for many years, only ones I've had a hassle with hot shells and blowback were H&K 22 MAG and .223, Savage in 17HMR and Brno 22 mag. Never had a problem with 12 gauge semi's or Browning centerfire semi's.

Thanks heaps for all the info team.
    But, talking about shotguns sorry. My bad for not lack of detail.
    Looking at o/u and piss all left handed ones out there for a beginner.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyraz View Post
    Thanks heaps for all the info team.
    But, talking about shotguns sorry. My bad for not lack of detail.
    Looking at o/u and piss all left handed ones out there for a beginner.
    Kilwell have a few Lefty O/U's but they are around 2700 ish. Have you considered putting up a "wanted" flyer at the local gun club.
    I shoot with a couple of lefties I will ask them if they know of anything available.
    Other wise there are cheaper lefty shotguns (again see Kilwell website) which would get you started.
    kellyraz likes this.