Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By 40mm
  • 1 Post By csmiffy

Thread: mossberg 500 bits

mossberg 500 bits

I've had a little issue with the old mossy 500. The safety has started coming on when firing. The screw was a weeny bit loose but didn't really make much difference. I will admit that I did make a little adjustment a long time ago to make the safety a little less difficult to apply. Tore the shit out of my thumb taking it on and off.
    Sooooo really could do with a new spring and in that case an oversized/modified safety button.
    The best case knowing what I know now would've been to get someone with a Maverick 88 that was getting squashed and swap out the whole trigger group. They have a proper button.
    Dr google doesn't really show up anything in nz
    Thoughts/help?

I have had a bunch of 500's and have never used the safety once, Just disable it if its causing problems and keep the chamber empty or hold the slide at half way if you want to be in a state of 'semi readiness'

One less thing to go wrong, if you never use it.
    Steve123 likes this.
    Use enough gun

probably a little more noisy though.
    Use enough gun

Normally I would agree with you to a degree. But a shotgun is the only firearm I use a safety on religiously. SXS not so bad as you could break it open, but always used it on the A5 and mossy.
    It did stem from not being able to break the gun and also using around others more. In a mai mai and on the back of a ute spotlight rabbits especially. That is where I destroyed my thumb.
    If all I did was walking around on my own I might concur.

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    Normally I would agree with you to a degree. But a shotgun is the only firearm I use a safety on religiously. SXS not so bad as you could break it open, but always used it on the A5 and mossy.
    It did stem from not being able to break the gun and also using around others more. In a mai mai and on the back of a ute spotlight rabbits especially. That is where I destroyed my thumb.
    If all I did was walking around on my own I might concur.
    I can see the logic there, I usually am by myself though.

Ill swap my safety and broken trigger group for your broken safety and good trigger group...
    Use enough gun

yeah but my trigger group is a bodgied one-think I pm'd you the pics a while back. But I do appreciate your offer-only really need the spring
    That's why a maverick model with the button safety would be awesome
    40mm likes this.

Ah, Sorry I didnt remember who that was.
    I have taped mine in and still waiting for a 590A1 group to turn up.
    Was pretty mad to see plenty of good parts guns going to the crusher last year
    I bet a few 590A1's went there
    Use enough gun

yeah I'm a dummy. never thought to reach out and get some bits when that all went down. The 590a1 is a metal one yeah? How much for that?
    The way I've done mine I reckon is still better than factory plastic although if I was doing one for someone else I'd do it a bit nicer
    Last edited by csmiffy; 30-05-2020 at 03:41 PM.

@GDMP yup. At the worst I only need the spring-was hoping there might be one locally. I reckon the bigger safety would most likely have to come off shore