Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Pump vs Semi auto

Pump vs Semi auto

Im trying to branch out from deer and goat hunting and now in the market for a shotgun but kind of tossing up between a pump or a semi auto.
    The advantages of a pump action for me is it fits into my budget a bit better. A semi auto is more conveniant though.
    Just want to see what everyones opinions are whether its with stretching my budget for a semiauto or will a pump action be just fine.
    Its also for duck shooting next season hopefully

I'm no expert at all. Bit from what I've seen cheap autos suck. So if on a limited budget grab a pump.

Semi-autos are in my view nicer to use simply because of the reduced recoil.
    Bryan, 199p and Moa Hunter like this.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

The mossberg maverick with the 2 barrels seem like a good deal for a startup. Good reliable gun with option of the shorter barrel for a handy rabbit gun.
    I would personally avoid the cheap Turkish semiautomatic for heavy use. I had a an Armsan 20g I used for getting into skeet. Good gun for the price but not sure I would want it as a duck gun shooting heavy feild loads all the time.
    Last edited by PeteD; 24-06-2022 at 12:21 PM.

Yes cheap Turkish guns are what I've seen/heard of give the most grief.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

I’ve used a pump for years, used it in the McKenzie Basin when rabbits were numerous, it was an ‘orrible Bentley 8 shot with sights -never ever had any issues with it

Also had a A5 but felt it was too long for my needs and at times fussy on its diet.

Given the choice I’d stick with pump.
    outlander likes this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Buy a reliable pump, one of the Mossbergs or a Remington 870. A lot of guys can shoot a pump almost as fast as a semi - if you need fast. But it also gives you the choice that when the birds have flared too far out, you can stop shooting with an open chamber and it is safe. Dont buy a Gun City Ranger copy, they're too bloody heavy! A 26" or less barrel makes it easier to use when you need to get in and out of a vehicle. But a 20" barrel is often too short for some guys to shoot well. Go to a reputable gunshop and ask to try various ones out for fit and swing etc. Then see if you can find a mate that has one that you can try first.

had an awesome run with a H&R pump...sold it as inherited a semi....and have kicked myself ever since.....the pump was a far better gun all around and the semi is a high end B brand...I just much prefer the simplicity of the pump AND being able to leave action open....
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I've a cheap turkish auto at the moment and it works fine. But used to have a couple of Mossberg pumps in the before days, and really miss them. Pump is a reliable, functions with any load you drop in it, certainly not slow, and as others have said very easy to make safe (even with rounds in the mags)/carry with an empty chamber yet load quickly without shifting hands.
    Micky Duck likes this.

It really does depend on what you want to do with it. I mostly use my shottie for shooting hares out of the ute, and semi auto is the only way to go for that role. Pump is just another unnecessary movement. OTOH I know a guy who uses an A5 for his pest control but claimed to keep a pump under the counter when he ran his shop, on the belief that the sound of racking a pump shottie is the single most effective thief deterrent possible. A loaded shotgun in a shop is illegal so I assume this anecdote was in jest.

I bought a 28" Akkar altay semi auto years ago and it functioned flawlessly, but was too long. After the buyback I got the same thing in 18" length, and it also has never failed. The cheap Turkish semi autos can be very good, if you're happy with cheap and simple.

Absolute bargain here, and these have a decent rep:
    https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....61/index2.html... assuming it's still available.
    m101a1 likes this.
    bunji likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600 View Post
    Buy a reliable pump, one of the Mossbergs or a Remington 870. A lot of guys can shoot a pump almost as fast as a semi - if you need fast. But it also gives you the choice that when the birds have flared too far out, you can stop shooting with an open chamber and it is safe. Dont buy a Gun City Ranger copy, they're too bloody heavy! A 26" or less barrel makes it easier to use when you need to get in and out of a vehicle. But a 20" barrel is often too short for some guys to shoot well. Go to a reputable gunshop and ask to try various ones out for fit and swing etc. Then see if you can find a mate that has one that you can try first.
    Concur, I've had a Gun City 18" for the past 10 years. What makes them so damn heavy in comparison?

Just get a decent semi, if you buy a pump gun you will just end up wanting a semi.

Buy once cry once,
    Plenty of well priced semis around at the moment.
    schwen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by outlander View Post
    Concur, I've had a Gun City 18" for the past 10 years. What makes them so damn heavy in comparison?
    I actually like heavy in a firearm. Had a Gun City 22" with the" interchoke" system. I don't duck shoot. Was brilliant for me. The only reason I sold it, was I needed the$$$.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Growlybear View Post
    I actually like heavy in a firearm. Had a Gun City 22" with the" interchoke" system. I don't duck shoot. Was brilliant for me. The only reason I sold it, was I needed the$$$.
    heavy = good unless you going walkies...... I actually ADDED 11oz of lead shot into the buttstock of the H&R pump....the new owner has left it there too...sure soaks up any recoil very well,and being close to shoulder it doesnt effect the swing.
    Growlybear likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters