Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Padox

Thread: Remington 1187 bolt hold open not working

Remington 1187 bolt hold open not working

Got a Remington 1187 semi auto 12 Ga that only holds back the bolt about 50% of the time on empty chamber.
    Lower power loads seem to be more of an issue and the gun feels sluggish when it cycles, slugs or buck work better and the action cycles with much more force.
    Haven't googled much on the problem, but will do.
    Any Remington gurus out there your advice would be appreciated - Thanks

Gas ring that comes up on the o ring only know this as had 2 of our crews do it this year
    nowool likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Padox View Post
    Gas ring that comes up on the o ring only know this as had 2 of our crews do it this year
    OK thanks for that mate, ill buy some new ones & give them a crack

Yes as Padox says, check that the piston seal assembly and the barrel seal o-ring are correctly stacked on the magazine tube

My 11-87 needs to be kept reasonably clean. If the chamber or gas port & piston get too fouled up, the action slows down and empties fail to eject/bolt won't hold open.

She doesn't like low-recoil or powderpuff clay loads but any faster 28 gr. clay loads cycle fine if she's clean. Field loads 32 gr. and heavier are most reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke556 View Post
    Got a Remington 1187 semi auto 12 Ga that only holds back the bolt about 50% of the time on empty chamber.
    Lower power loads seem to be more of an issue and the gun feels sluggish when it cycles, slugs or buck work better and the action cycles with much more force.
    Haven't googled much on the problem, but will do.
    Any Remington gurus out there your advice would be appreciated - Thanks
    If you are in Auckland pm me and bring it around. I have a couple of 1187's and also a 'parts' gun. We can swap out the trigger group to see if thats the problem and I can go through
    the gun with you and check all the common faults.

First thing to check btw is that the chamber is nice and clean and give it a polish.......it doesnt need much crap in the chamber to put the timing off.

Quote Originally Posted by rockland View Post
    Yes as Padox says, check that the piston seal assembly and the barrel seal o-ring are correctly stacked on the magazine tube

My 11-87 needs to be kept reasonably clean. If the chamber or gas port & piston get too fouled up, the action slows down and empties fail to eject/bolt won't hold open.

She doesn't like low-recoil or powderpuff clay loads but any faster 28 gr. clay loads cycle fine if she's clean. Field loads 32 gr. and heavier are most reliable.
    That's the 1 the floating seal on top of the piston $108 from rip off artists H&f as I literally dun mine last week for the same prob

The "O" rings are usually on T/M for $10 for two including postage.

Got some spare O rings fro my 1187's a few years back from an engineering shop when they were unavailable at my LGS. They only cost me about $1.50. The ones to get are 'Viton'.
    From a suppliers website:
    Temperature range: From -40°C up to 250°C
    Suitability: Good for use in high temperature situations or where chemicals are being used. As well as resisting oils, petrol and hydrocarbons, Viton™ is resistant to mineral acids, halogenated hydrocarbons and more.

Thanks for that offer @Allgood, but im at the other end of the NI
    I ordered a 3-pak from GC, $50 damn expensive for rubber rings in a flash Remington packet
    I didn't think about engineering shops as you say i'm sure they're a generic part
    Mine sounds quite rattly when you give it a good shake inside the receiver when the bolts locked to the rear manually, does yours do this ?

It's not just the rubber seal that needs replace it's the metal band seal on top of the piston

Quote Originally Posted by Luke556 View Post
    Thanks for that offer @Allgood, but im at the other end of the NI
    I ordered a 3-pak from GC, $50 damn expensive for rubber rings in a flash Remington packet
    I didn't think about engineering shops as you say i'm sure they're a generic part
    Mine sounds quite rattly when you give it a good shake inside the receiver when the bolts locked to the rear manually, does yours do this ?
    $20 each from h&f

Ok dude I’ll see how it goes

Gun wasn't that dirty IMHO, but the rubber seal looked like a loose fit and have got replacement ones on the way
    The two metal gas rings look OK, so ill just clean and re-use
    However the carrier release mech is missing the carrier release leaf spring, so maybe this is why it doesn't lock back all the time ?
    Anyone got a spare they'd be willing to donate to a good cause ? or where could get one in NZ ?