Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Gapped axe
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By kotuku

Thread: Safe for steel

Safe for steel

Hi guys I have recently come in to possession of a nice Berreta shotgun and was wanting to know if it was safe to use with steel ammo?.It has no removable choke so not sure what the choke would be...if any?. Hopefully someone here can enlighten me.

Sent from my SM-G390Y using Tapatalk

Looks to be modified, reference the M on the barrel, others had F meaning full. I'd be hesitant to use steel without at the very least, opening up the choke to Improved cylinder. Even then I'd only run light 30 or 32gm loads. Forcing cone could need work too.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    If you pop the barrel off, it will have stamped on it whether its steel proofed or not, and what and which ones are chocked. Any gunshop would take a second to tell you. I guessing you know how to disassemble the firearm. The other key point is the age of the gun and the condition of the barrels.
    mikee and Sideshow like this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Quote Originally Posted by Gapped axe View Post
    If you pop the barrel off, it will have stamped on it whether its steel proofed or not, and what and which ones are chocked. Any gunshop would take a second to tell you. I guessing you know how to disassemble the firearm. The other key point is the age of the gun and the condition of the barrels.
    Have removed barrel @Gapped axe it's all greek to me

Thanks for the input guys.Was hoping it might have been easy to figure out.Think I'll stick with lead till I can get it checked.
    Thankyou

as said above...stick to 30-32grm loads of NO BIGGER than size #3 and you should be fine......the issue with bigger shot sizes and /or bigger payloads is they jam/rub shoulders with each other trying to squeeze out the end/choke.....smaller shot move more and dont bridge together..lighter payloads help with the same as there isnt so much trying to fit.
    Got-ya likes this.

for overall piece of mind Id whip it into a reputable gunshop or gunsmith and get the matter sorted .My original Bentley pointer was like this .however a very astute H&Fstaff member took me aside when i collected it and explained light 23/4 steel loads were best as the allow around the ejection port could crack under stress.I valued that advice _I valued that mans professionalism(unlike another member of their staff).the pointer is still going albeit rare outings!
    Micky Duck likes this.