Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Sporting clays - leftie advice ?

ebf

Sporting clays - leftie advice ?

Had a go at some club sporting clays, and it looks like something I could enjoy.

Some advice from the sporting shooters on here...

As a leftie, would I be better of getting one of the semis with a shim kit to fit the gun, or look various O/U and try to find something that works ?

What is involved getting a O/U fitted ? Can someone give me a rough idea on cost for having this done, and maybe suggestions for someone in the Welly/Wairarapa area ?
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

A semi with a shim kit would get you going. You can buy lefty semis now BUT picking up empties gets old real fast if you shoot more than occaisionally, U/O is the way to go
    Join your local club they should be able to point you in the direction of some one who can check gun fit. Its very addictive
    Steve123 and Sideshow like this.

I’ll only offer this to you because you know puffin, you can borrow my beretta semi to see if it will work for you. My understanding is an under over is the only way to go though. As mikee says picking up shells gets very ordinary very quickly and the semi has too much happening to put you off your second shot.
    ebf and mikee like this.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

ebf
    Thanks 2post, are you a leftie as well ?

If you are going the semi auto route then get a mag stick to pick up ya empty’s, you will keep the others at the clubs happy and it’s good to be a tidy kiwi
    Maybe a chamber flag as well, although I know of one club here which tells semi auto uses to sleeve there guns between stands and always carry pointing down. Because you can only see the flag from one side.

Hope you get into it ebf as it’s a fun sport, only one to blame once you are fitted is yourself for missing
    mikee likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

ebf
    Yup, one of the guys had a pickup stick today - very nifty gadget

Saves ya back......and screws when they fall out

Not a lefty but dad and daughter are so understand.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

You can find under and overs with a no cast. Look at pigeon grade Winchester. A few of them are like this. Just got one for Dad he’s a lefty.
    Here’s one https://www.guncity.com/12ga-winches...8-skeet-356924
    You will need to see it for your self as obviously someone could have had it fitted.
    Last edited by Sideshow; 17-08-2019 at 08:40 PM.
    mikee and Marty Henry like this.

@ebf. NZCTA has a number of certfied AGrade coaches around various clubs. Check with them before spending any $$. Also most clubs have club guns along with friendly shooters so you can try various guns. Gun stocks can be "bent" using a hot oil and jig process. There are a few gunsmiths competent to modify a wood stock in this way.
    It is normal to develope gun mount technique as you gain experience so locking into an initial gun usually ends in frustration and then gun swapping and money wasting. Best to find an A GRADE coach at the outset; one you keep going back to. Different shotgun disciplines often use differing shotguns, much like different rifkes for different competition requirements. A "sporting clays" shotgun configuration including removable chokes is a good all rounder to start off , but get stock adjustment advice from genuine experts, not mouthy knowitalls.
    ebf, Steve123 and mimms like this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    @ebf. NZCTA has a number of certfied AGrade coaches around various clubs. Check with them before spending any $$. Also most clubs have club guns along with friendly shooters so you can try various guns. Gun stocks can be "bent" using a hot oil and jig process. There are a few gunsmiths competent to modify a wood stock in this way.
    It is normal to develope gun mount technique as you gain experience so locking into an initial gun usually ends in frustration and then gun swapping and money wasting. Best to find an A GRADE coach at the outset; one you keep going back to. Different shotgun disciplines often use differing shotguns, much like different rifkes for different competition requirements. A "sporting clays" shotgun configuration including removable chokes is a good all rounder to start off , but get stock adjustment advice from genuine experts, not mouthy knowitalls.
    excellent advice although I am not a member of a NZCTA affiliated club as I cannot stand the politics. Rather a bunch of guys who have invested in some traps (10 so far all ) and only shoot sporting.
    Took me ages to get on with my gun thought it was a lemon but it was me

A lot of clay shooter go through probably 15-20 guns loking for "the perfect fit" whereas a top coach and gunfitter can save 90% of that wasted time powder and $$ in the long run.
    mikee likes this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

What woody said. But don’t choke on choke a lot of people get hung up on this. For most skeet or open at 30/40 yards you will still smash clays with 21g 7.5 shot. Buy a nice gun get it fitted professionally and your halfway there! Then practice, remember also the number 1 golden rule HAVE FUN! If your not then your doing it all wrong

older bro is a lefty and the lamber U/O works ok for him as has stuff all cast...neither does the bakail....
    I had a morgan adjustable butt plate on an old S/S and tweaked it till she fit like a glove...cant see why you couldnt get enough cast that way from something reasonably straight to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    What woody said. But don’t choke on choke a lot of people get hung up on this. For most skeet or open at 30/40 yards you will still smash clays with 21g 7.5 shot. Buy a nice gun get it fitted professionally and your halfway there! Then practice, remember also the number 1 golden rule HAVE FUN! If your not then your doing it all wrong
    Exactly, I wish someone had given me that information when i started. As far as chokes go last year I used Skeet and cylinder for everything near and wayy far . This year full and extra full for everything. When I try and match the choke to the target my shooting goes pooze.