Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By Micky Duck

Thread: Supprise package

Supprise package

Just emptying part of my attic in the new house today and found a heap of pretty good looking decoys, got in touch with the previous house owner and for various reasons there all mine,

Now you've maybe heard me say before in different areas I'm not much duck hunter but I have a decent shotgun and now a set of decoys I have a good few acres and a decent sized water race, when it comes to it;

1 is it work me setting them up where the water race opens up to get some practise in calling and such, or is it not worth the effort without a good pond/ lake and a bit more instruction.

We get a few ducks in the area and have seen them at this particular bit of race, any hints tips or just get out ere and blow a call?

Got a few mates farms I'm invited too for the duck season and would love to have a bit of experience under my belt even if it's just calling em in.

TIA

there is no harm in practise......and drakes are out in raping mobs still.....any time spent out calling and seeing how ducks react is good practise.
    it will also tell you how effective that way to set decoys in that bit of water will be.... flowing water allows LOTS of options.... you can put decent anchor on far shore and swing birds across stream...pull em up tight and they go across to far side,let em go and they swing back to your side,two or three in a line would look awesome ,like paddling upstream and crossing to get out after landing....

try and eyeball where theyre going on the rdr whether its for shelter food or just a good loafing spot.
    you could even feed it depending on how big it is.
    i may be falsely assuming its rdr size rather than a narrow water race?

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    there is no harm in practise......and drakes are out in raping mobs still.....any time spent out calling and seeing how ducks react is good practise.
    it will also tell you how effective that way to set decoys in that bit of water will be.... flowing water allows LOTS of options.... you can put decent anchor on far shore and swing birds across stream...pull em up tight and they go across to far side,let em go and they swing back to your side,two or three in a line would look awesome ,like paddling upstream and crossing to get out after landing....
    I thought with that word you were relating to Mallards?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Cheers for the advice fellas having a little luck so far, sound a bit more like daffy on the old duck call but Ill get it.