Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Breeding and its finer points

Breeding and its finer points

An area discussed sometimes but a subject I would like to know more about without having to read myself silly with brains like Tessio -guys please add your thoughts on what you look for before breeding a dog and by that I mean inbreeding ,out breeding and all that stuff as I think it will be very interesting .I know squat about the finer points
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

You get a she dog, and then he dog...

El B I think when you are dealing with minority breeds and our geographical isolation the matter takes on a whole different aspect...I believe you have to do research, research, go to the country of origin...engage those of the country of origin not to talk to but to listen to...the great dogs have not all come from high flying kennels, but it maybe the one hidden away near the woodlands...owned by people passionate about hunting, about the breed who will understand and appreciate your own passion for hunting and the breed...it is not the trophies glistening on the shelf, nor the pretty big ribbons that should take your eye...
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

I would breed from a dog any day if it was a winner--why wouldn't you?

My dogs have illustrious field champions in their pedigrees from the country of origin...the field trials over there are so removed from what is here, except the live game trials have a similarity of course...but it is the fact that the breeders WERE/ARE MORE PASSIONATE ABOUT HUNTING THAN TRIALING...and so the dogs have a prey drive that is very strong, they have correct form, they have sound health and temperament, they reproduce their like...there's not much else really, is there?

edited to add: no, let me rephrase that...what else is there? a silver plated whatnot and a piece of artificial satin is not the basis on which to rest your breeding programme...why do you think that so many 'show' breeds are at the risk of becoming divergent to the progenitor...?
    Last edited by EeeBees; 12-02-2013 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    Read Leon book again El B, he comments about dogs that win pigeon trials dont always make good hunting dogs
    Pointer and Kaimaicockher like this.

a winner doesn't just mean pigeon trials.a consistent winner is a dog that can take instruction and has ability over others probably

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    My dogs have illustrious field champions in their pedigrees from the country of origin...the field trials over there are so removed from what is here, except the live game trials have a similarity of course...but it is the fact that the breeders WERE/ARE MORE PASSIONATE ABOUT HUNTING THAN TRIALING...and so the dogs have a prey drive that is very strong, they have correct form, they have sound health and temperament, they reproduce their like...there's not much else really, [B]

edited to add: no, let me rephrase that...what else is there? a silver plated whatnot and a piece of artificial satin is not the basis on which to rest your breeding programme...why do you think that so many 'show' breeds are at the risk of becoming divergent to the progenitor...?
    winning dogs in pointer and setter come from hunting breeding homes to a greater degree so I think your point is incorrect
    Ruff likes this.

winning dogs in pointer and setter come from hunting breeding homes to a greater degree so I think your point is incorrect
    Holy cow!!! we have not long been told off for snakes and ladders in the dog department and here you go again... I am sure you start these threads just for the fun of aggravation...so my point is incorrect?...it IS MY OPINION....BASED ON PERSONAL KNOWLEDGE..as I say silver and satin mean nought to me...but I will take a dog from a man or woman who HUNTS THEIR HUNTING DOGS, SHOOTS BIRDS OVER THEIR BIRD DOGS...IT IS THEIR PASSION FOR THE BREED, THEIR COMMITMENT TO THE BREED STANDARD, THEIR COMMITMENT TO THE FORMATION...

edited to add...you have quoted me in your post...the illustrious trial dogs behind mine were trialed yes, the real passion of the breeders lay in HUNTING...mostly woodcock...

Only if I knew what it had beat!

a winner doesn't just mean pigeon trials.a consistent winner is a dog that can take instruction and has ability over others probably
    Not even... by my experience...
    Pointer likes this.

Holy cow!!! we have not long been told off for snakes and ladders in the dog department and here you go again... I am sure you start these threads just for the fun of aggravation...so my point is incorrect?...it IS MY OPINION....BASED ON PERSONAL KNOWLEDGE..as I say silver and satin mean nought to me...but I will take a dog from a man or woman who HUNTS THEIR HUNTING DOGS, SHOOTS BIRDS OVER THEIR BIRD DOGS...IT IS THEIR PASSION FOR THE BREED, THEIR COMMITMENT TO THE BREED STANDARD, THEIR COMMITMENT TO THE FORMATION...

edited to add...you have quoted me in your post...the illustrious trial dogs behind mine were trialed yes, the real passion of the breeders lay in HUNTING...mostly woodcock...
    I agree with everything you say, except the bit about the breed standard... breed standards have NEVER improved a breed and defy anyone to show me where it has.... Breed Standards from cockerels, to pigeons, cattle and dogs, destroy breeds purpose... the rest is unequivocally where the breeding dogs rests... nice post!

and yes ELB loves to provoke.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ruff View Post
    I agree with everything you say, except the bit about the breed standard... breed standards have NEVER improved a breed and defy anyone to show me where it has.... Breed Standards from cockerels, to pigeons, cattle and dogs, destroy breeds purpose... the rest is unequivocally where the breeding dogs rests... nice post!
    I mean, Ruff, it is my heartfelt and utter passion and endeavour for my dogs to maintain the form of the breed...

Quote Originally Posted by Ruff View Post
    and yes ELB loves to provoke.....
    I do not !!!
    Whats your thoughts on mating Ruff -how close to the dogs or bitches other family members .

EEs Bees I wonder If Robyn Gaskin breeds with her most winning dogs to others or goes to some Hunter in the corner of the farm and uses his dogs ??? my point really

I mean, Ruff, it is my heartfelt and utter passion and endeavor for my dogs to maintain the form of the breed...
    good endeavor to aim for Victoria !!!