Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Focus?!

Focus?!

I have a 2yr old ESS who in the yard retrieves well delivers to hand etc. When I have taken him to training days he seems to perform really well and is switched on however when we go to the park for training all he wants to do is run around and chase things. He seems to forget any whistle commands and just takes off! I have run him on a long line in the park and he works ok but is really distracted and doesn't focus on me at all. He shows no interest in retrieving a ball / bumper or anything
    Don't even get me started about what happens when we go on the beach!
    It seems he needs other gun dogs around to switch on however this is not always a viable option.
    Any ideas or tips? Especially to get him focussed on me.

dont take him to the park ! take him to a place where he can work cover .The parks generally lack cover and allow the dog to freely run and to boot with a lot of other distractions around him which are more interesting than dad-if he wont stop get an E collar and let him know you can touch him from afar
    Wirehunt and Ayejay like this.
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

taking him somewhere to work cover to fix this problem is like taking a teenage boy to a strip club to stop him from wanking.

put him on a lead and give him shorter free runs and work on his recall in the yard and build up the distraction level when you do the recall training else where.
    Pointer, Dundee, gqhoon and 2 others like this.

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Thanks for the advice. Im still not sure about the use of e collar. Think it will be last resort stuff. I think I will work on the lead stuff first. I find it frustrating as I know the dog is been held back by my lack of knowledge and opportunities to get out.

Ayejay, I wish you all the luck with him...I agree with Kawhia in that your dog will identify the locale for work...you do NOT need an e-collar for him. Parks are full of dog markings...it is a wonder they do not do their heads in when they are taken to parks with all that urine scent going on...
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

ive always used collars to some degree or other -proofs in the pudding ..............................

+1 for the e collar, they are worth their weight in gold in most situations and handy to have, my gsp always wears hers when we are out and about, but rarely have to use it! as she was really bad at the beach at running at people who were walking, and if i was someone walking id be shitting myself if a dog came running at me, so in my eyes its a good investment to save my ass and potentially my dogs life, but in turn she now listens to my commands weather the collar is on or off
    el borracho likes this.

using an e collar for basic recall is just bullshit.....a whistle and a pup that has been taught to obey it is always the best method.
    if you have a pup or young dog that has taught itself to ignore you and just bog off it's a sign you need to work on the stop.

Agree with Kawhia. No person in their right-mind would advocate the use of an e-collar in order to get compliance of basic stop / recall commands.

Go back to basic yard work and gradually increase distractions while ensuring compliance. Use new environments that are initially free from distractions and build up over time.
    Pointer and upnorth uplander like this.

The advice given above is incorrect, and possibly downright dangerous so I have to comment.

Most of the American training programs by most of the big trainers specifically mention not to use the electric collar in the immediate presence of other dogs. It can lead to aggression problems when the dog associates the shock with the dog it was running at or even worse, a person.

Ayejay what you have here is as Hoon and Kawhia stated, a case where the level of distraction is greater than your level of control on the dog. Do as they both say and back off on the distraction, working on 100% compliance with known commands in a known low-level distraction environment such as your back yard, before you gradually increase distraction while maintaining 100% compliance. You have to think two steps ahead of the dog, anticipating when the wheels will fall off and being ready to correct him when it happens.

Ok that sounds good thanks. We unfortunately started out wrong with him, he was always a pet 1st with hunting etc a possibility so off we marched to obedience armed with a bum bag full of cut up dog roll. He was great at the obedience until you didnt have food or seagulls were around. When I mentioned I wanted to use him for hunting the idea was shot down and was told to work on fancy footwork to getting him heeling properly hmmmm. Didnt take long to leave obedience. Now I have my FAL I would like to use him for what he is bred for as well as having a dog I can take to the park throw a ball or bumper and have him retrieve it with out taking off. Off to the yard we go. Is it best to start again with a short lead beside me or just have him on a longer lead?

Suggest you pm either Kawhia or Ruff. Too many conflicting opinions are going to help not hinder. Good on you for asking for help to make the most of your dog

Quote Originally Posted by gqhoon View Post
    Agree with Kawhia. No person in their right-mind would advocate the use of an e-collar in order to get compliance of basic stop / recall commands.

Go back to basic yard work and gradually increase distractions while ensuring compliance. Use new environments that are initially free from distractions and build up over time.
    I have to disagree with you GQ, Ive trained my dogs using a collar whilst using the whistle also -my young one is a good example of sensible use of collar and training good compliance and a happy bitch .
    In saying that if you are new to training you should always seek advice and help from someone a little more advanced in training .Most anti collar posts a purely emotional plenty of people in the dog community getting results from different methods Im sure

Ayejay , why dont you hook up with a spaniel competitor in your area and get some advice on what they do .