Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Glencuan

Glencuan

Just a short note to announce that my friend Des O'Neile who used to post on this site lost his battle with cancer just over a month ago. He was a great pointer man and over the years here in the UK he had made up several field trial champions. He enjoyed this site very much and talked often of his involvement with the site.

On a separate matter I will arrive by ship in Auckland on 27 November 2016. Will there be any pointer and setter field trials on around this time or am I too late. You can contact me on Facebook under the name Joe Dobbin if it is easier.

Des also belonged to the other forum, and it is very sad he passed.
    always happy to share his knowledge, many of us have been following his diary and had contact with him through the uk forums.
    november is getting to the tail end of the first lot of trials, but they start up again early in the new year leading up to the game season.

Hi Kawhia. Thanks. Looks like I have missed it again. Are there any English Setter people in and around Upper Hutt that maybe I could contact. Or maybe down the west coast where my brother and I will go trout fishing.

Dessie O'Neile had a good send off in Northern Ireland and there were Pointer People who had come over from England, Scotland and from the south of ireland. He and I go back 30 years (shooting and trialling) and he is a big loss. Big guy with a big heart and mad ideas. Never a dull moment when he was around.
    EeeBees and mrs dundee like this.

Bob Whitehead is based in the lower NOrth Island and still has some excellent pointers. He has made up FCH's and FTCH's in at least four different breeds. He'd be a great contact. I'll send you a request on FB and send you his contacts.

Sad to hear of Des's passing. He was a valuable contributor to our forums.
    falconstoop likes this.
    It is difficult to win an argument with an intelligent person! It is near impossible with a stupid person!
    Rebelwood Gundog Training

Bob Whitehead is based in the lower NOrth Island and still has some excellent pointers. He has a setter or two in the past but I don't believe he does anymore. He has made up FCH's and FTCH's in at least four different breeds. He'd be a great contact. Let me know if you want his e-mail and I'll pom it to you.

Sad to hear of Des's passing. He was a valuable contributor to our forums.
    It is difficult to win an argument with an intelligent person! It is near impossible with a stupid person!

Hi Joe,

Most of the setter (and pointer) folk are upper North Island, with fair warning I'm sure they would take you put for a day. If you don't want to travel far from the Hutt and don't mind pointers there is a chap in Wellington who has a few working bred ones and has been in them for years, message me if you'd like his details

Ruff I would be grateful for his name and details. My younger brother lives in upper hurt and I'll probably be based there although I am trying to talk him into going down to Greymouth for a bit of trout fishing although he wants to introduce me to some north island rainbows. I have never been to auckland before as I have flown into wellington from Melbourne where I grew up. Never got further north than the vineyards of Martinborough.

I met a guy years ago in England called Gaskin who liked English Setters and maybe his wife who had red setters. I think she had something to do with forestry and lived in England for a time.

Someone told me there might be pointers and setters down around Canterbury where they grow all the wheat. I am on facebook under joe dobbin if it is easier to make contact. Thanks a lot for your help.

Great.

You would be referring to Robyn Gaskin. Sadly her husband John is no longer with us, but she still has a kennel of very successful reds. She along with a few other P&S folk are based in and around the Bay of Plenty.

The reason they are largely upper north island, BOP and Auckland based is historically due to the larger amount of pheasant (and pheasant hunters) in those regions.

@el borracho on here has a bitch of Gerald Devines breeding you might like to meet? He too is upper north island
    el borracho likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    You would be referring to Robyn Gaskin. Sadly her husband John is no longer with us, but she still has a kennel of very successful reds. She along with a few other P&S folk are based in and around the Bay of Plenty.

The reason they are largely upper north island, BOP and Auckland based is historically due to the larger amount of pheasant (and pheasant hunters) in those regions.

@el borracho on here has a bitch of Gerald Devines breeding you might like to meet? He too is upper north island
    And lower centre of gravity
    Pointer, Ruff, el borracho and 1 others like this.

there is a video of john gaskin in the uk at a pointer setter trial kicking around some where....small world.

Yeah its a goodie, him and Ian Hendren looking awestruck
    Ruff likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by falconstoop View Post
    Ruff I would be grateful for his name and details. My younger brother lives in upper hurt and I'll probably be based there although I am trying to talk him into going down to Greymouth for a bit of trout fishing although he wants to introduce me to some north island rainbows. I have never been to auckland before as I have flown into wellington from Melbourne where I grew up. Never got further north than the vineyards of Martinborough.

I met a guy years ago in England called Gaskin who liked English Setters and maybe his wife who had red setters. I think she had something to do with forestry and lived in England for a time.

Someone told me there might be pointers and setters down around Canterbury where they grow all the wheat. I am on facebook under joe dobbin if it is easier to make contact. Thanks a lot for your help.
    Done.

Sorry to hear about John Gaskin. He was a very nice guy. I think I met him at Eggleston at the English Setter Club grouse stakes about 25 years ago. I think I met his wife a year or two later.

I compete against Gerard Devine a lot but he is hard to beat and he usually handles 5 dogs in a stake whereas I only run one. He probably has his best ever dogs at the minute especially the Ballyellen Cody dog although he is over six years old now. Gortinreagh Eppie is also another cracker of a dog as was Ballyellen Cara and Gortinreagh Flyer which he sold to Sweden. I had a great run against Fly in Scotland in 2014 and some people said it was the best run they had seen in 4 or 5 years. Two well matched dogs really going for it.
    Ruff likes this.