Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: My last dog couldnt swim so now i need a new one.

My last dog couldnt swim so now i need a new one.

Poor wee Ivy drowned in an irrigation race yesterday So now i need a new dog one that can swim preferably. a retriever as i do a lot of duck hunting. i know a Lab best suits what im after but how would a GSP, vizsla or Brittany go as solely a retriever.
    Thanks for your help.

Can dogs have life jackets? A camo one would be good for hunting plus might help keep it warm and well it floats.
    VIVA LA HOWA

one is definitely at the top of the list Toby. wouldnt have made one small enough for Ivy tho

There are some really good Lab breeders in South Canterbury... do a bit of homework and you'll have no worries... sorry about Ivy!

Caretaker
    Yeah, sorry to hear about Ivy.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Go for a lab! gsp,s and the likes can be trained to retrieve very well , but they are a jack of all trades . And sometimes retrieving is not there best attribute . They won't handle cold wet days either . Even my old wirehair used to get cold . It's not fair on them in the cold south , mine gets left at home if I'm duck shooting all day and its cold and wet. Labs are brilliant duck dogs . Sorry to for your loss too.
    Wirehunt and Pointer like this.
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Thanks munsey i knew there must have been some good reasons why most have Labs. yeh wouldnt be fair on those lean dogs in the icy water. Does anyone have a chesapeake bay retriever or know anything about them?

I shot with my neighbour who has a Chessie during the season of 2010. His first name was 'Max'. His last name was "You caaaarnt". Max was addressed by his full name quite often

I love labs too but they start falling to bits at about age 6. Poor buggers prone to arthritis and usually work a few years longer than they should.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    My black lab bitch is 12yrs old now and though not much interested in chasing and holding wound wallaby or the like these days,[ she has a WHP to do that shit for her now], however she still fetches any duck as well as she used to.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Thanks for the info and condolences guys. looks like it will be a Lab. Looking foward to training a dog with a few clues Ivy was lovley but not so smart. I havnt had much luck with dogs the first one when i was 11 died when he got neutered the next two got run over the next two i had to give away now Ivy none made it past 18 months im bloody cursed

Shit thats no good What breed was Ivy? Got to love the labs best water dog in my opinion.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365821624.929321.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  56.3 KB
    As you can see Ivy was no hunting dog we got her for the girls but she ended up being mine she would follow me around the farm chasing everything that moved. she was a chawawa/shit sue/something else. obviously incorrect spelling. Buried her this morning. Sad. Tussock what were u doing at the waitaki with an AR. Is that how you catch salmon

Last night I dreamt that my mate bought me a yappy little purse dog for a birthday present. I was like "what the fuck am I going to do with this?!" haha

Sent from my MT27i using Tapatalk 2
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

Sorry for yr loss,it would b a sad house hold.Labs are the best we have 3 and they good wth the kids..