Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: "Pet insurance "

"Pet insurance "

Anyone insure there dog ? . Did look into it once but dog was not covered if "hunting" . Maybe someone knows of a insurer that does cover hunting/ working dogs . Cheers Munsey
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

GSP
    Mine are insured. I really think the hunting is pig hunting where there is often injury. Any injuries mine have sustained have been just out going for a run and old girl hurt her leg, vet thought it was cruciate ligament but proved not to be saving me lots of dollars, running around home. If your dog seldom becomes ill or hurts itself then it probably isn't cost effective, but then again it does help the bank account somewhat when you have to fork over all those hundreds of dollars now and then. I must put my puppy onto it, she charges around bouncing off things

We are on the same page and know that gsps are crazy . So anything is possible as an injury , but I have rung two insurers and they don't cover hunting situations . I would have thought it was pig dogs that where not covered , but they say across the board ! . Who are you insured through ?

GSP
    As far as I'm concerned mine are insured for general purposes. Not hunting.

If I had to fork out for a big surgery that would probably hurt the bank account but I've looked into insurance too, ended up just setting up a bank account with a weekly AP for the same amount that pooch insurance would cost. I sometimes use that pool for rego or dog transport too.
    HF1 likes this.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    If I had to fork out for a big surgery that would probably hurt the bank account but I've looked into insurance too, ended up just setting up a bank account with a weekly AP for the same amount that pooch insurance would cost. I sometimes use that pool for rego or dog transport too.
    Yup ditto, our account covers everything related to the pets except food.

We just run the risk. If its a big big bill well we will cope if needs must. So far we have got thru the terrible 1's,2's,3's and 4's so should bee plain sailing from here on.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

i ve heard of some farmers insure some of the pedigree cows but only a very few animals but its not common otherwise i would insure my entire herd in case one happens to die as one did today FK FK FK but anyway as my grandfather always said where there's livestock there's dead stock i don't believe its economically viable to ensure animals but that's just my 2cents worth btw what would you insure it for probably can insure for accidental death ??????
    BURN BABY BURN
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Jonsey I think you can actually insure for accidental death. Not sure what you get though (price you paid for the dog?)
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Spare on the credit card is my insurance.

Although with Minty getting Pennhipped today that may give less CC leeway afterwards for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    Yes you are right Dougie ie $ 400 a year x 12 yrs ,and no bullshit insurance clauses

GSP
    GSP ran into an old bit of log sticking out the ground and pierced herself between front leg and chest, luckily just in the loose skin there but it had to be cleaned out better than I could do it. Also desleeved herself on a cut willow branch and the Vizsla did same one time too. Pup is going in for vWD and LD swab on Friday and then in August eyes, and those aren't covered by any Insurance. I don't think the insurance puts much at all toward accidental death. I just took the basic one and its not too expensive for 2 of them.

I know three guys whose main dogs have done ligaments in a big way, costing around 4k. Within 6 months each one had blown the other side out because the dog favours the good leg. This may sound fatalistic but unless it was a dog who was of worth genetically in the near future, I'd be digging the hole for him. Most pet insurers are weak at best, it's a lot of money for not a lot of service, especially to hunters. You would be better doing as Dougie or Barat suggests.

Some here. . Like my dogs but I wont be spending big bucks when I can just get and train another

Yep, unless he had something to offer genetically ie. he was a great, its a purely emotional decision to battle on with a lame dog. In the time you get Rover limping around, possibly never to hunt again you could have another pup up and running.