Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By EeeBees
  • 2 Post By MassiveAttack
  • 2 Post By Pointer
  • 1 Post By EeeBees
  • 1 Post By stug

Thread: Pigeons to house

Pigeons to house

Right I just got hold of a bloke that's got a heap of birds . He's going to give me some . Any ideas on how to home them ? . I only want them for bringing my dogs point back up to an acceptable level again . I'm thinking a pair or two ? . @distantstalker how you placed , you keen on "showing off" again ? . Cheers munsey
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

How old are they, @Munsey...cos if they are older birds you will have to keep them locked up in the loft for ages until their GPS figure out their locale, otherwise they will fly back to their old loft...squabs are the best bet...
    Munsey likes this.
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Ejected
    I know how to get them to come to a particular spot. Set up a couple of wing spinners and some fancy soar no more pigeon deeks and they come right in.
    EeeBees and Toby like this.

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    How old are they, @Munsey...cos if they are older birds you will have to keep them locked up in the loft for ages until their GPS figure out their locale, otherwise they will fly back to their old loft...squabs are the best bet...
    Old birds but he did have a shit load of young birds he could sell me if that's what's recommended . Have got a wire cadge I can set them in for the dog . Save me losing them
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

make sure you get squeakers, old birds may home back to your mates place. When they have been with you a month, let them out for a fly in the late arvo on an empty stomach. Leave food on top of the entry to the loft. A few sessions of this every few days or so and you'll be away
    EeeBees and Munsey like this.

@Munsey, will you not have them fly away (to return to your loft) so the dog is steady to the flush
    Munsey likes this.
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Get young birds and don't let them out for 6 weeks. When you do let them out they might stay away for a few days before they come home. If you do get older birds get a few pairs, it won't be long before you have young ones. They don't call them rats of the skies for nothing.
    The other thing to do is borrow some of his once a week for training and let them home back to his place. I use to do this in Blenheim, after doing a few points I would sit the dog and then release up to 40 birds in front of her, made her real steady to the flush!
    Munsey likes this.