Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Shot Bro
  • 1 Post By Pengy
  • 1 Post By GSP HUNTER
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck

Thread: Training bird dogs

Training bird dogs

Hey all,

I’m going to jump in the deep end in the next year or so and get a bird dog pup (if my wife lets me haha) going with a pointing bread and just after some advise on training styles and some good reading and watching to get me started, can anyone suggest anything solid to get me going? I plan on hunting mainly the uplands with the dog and will do a little waterfowl hunting a couple of times during the season.

There’s soo much info on YouTube it’s almost overwhelming where to start lol, though I really want to get my head around some proven methods so I choose one and move forward as confident as possible, would hate to wreck a pedigree dog, this is my biggest fear!

Training styles, this is new to me and have heard a few different methods thrown around in some of the literature and audio I have all ready checked out. I would imagine that there will be lots of opinions on their preferred methods but I would love to hear them should you care to share some of your thoughts here. I’m feeling the more positive reinforcement styles currently, though I’m no dog whisperer.

Also if anyone knows any pro trainers (field/hunting) in Waikato, BOP or Hawke’s Bay regions please let me know. I’m really going to need some expert advice and help at some point, especially getting the dog on birds and exposure to the gun etc...

Cheers,

Benny
    CamD likes this.

Wish I had some popcorn in stock
    Woody likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Among others , I found this book to be a well written and with some sage advice and back ground on pointing breeds and bringing out the best in each. I ran a GSP male
    for 13 years. Teresa Borrell was also a great guide and personal coach at times and talented dog handler for dog breeds, she resides in the Waikato now. Her articles in NZ hunter were excellent for general gun dog training from pups up.

Training the versatile hunting dog.
    Chuck Johnson

It's a great journey you are about to embark on. Take your time and realise you need as much training as the dog.

All the best.
    Shot Bro likes this.

GSP HUNTER likes this.

gamedog is very old book that set me on right path...... you could do better...and you could do worse.
    GSP HUNTER and Shot Bro like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GSP HUNTER View Post
    Among others , I found this book to be a well written and with some sage advice and back ground on pointing breeds and bringing out the best in each. I ran a GSP male
    for 13 years. Teresa Borrell was also a great guide and personal coach at times and talented dog handler for dog breeds, she resides in the Waikato now. Her articles in NZ hunter were excellent for general gun dog training from pups up.

Training the versatile hunting dog.
    Chuck Johnson

It's a great journey you are about to embark on. Take your time and realise you need as much training as the dog.

All the best.
    Sound advise mate, thank you. Yes, I would imagine I'll be doing most of the learning haha. Will check it out

Cheers