Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: What dogs see...

What dogs see...

...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

and?

...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Yeah... got that... without going into so much depth I think every dog handler would be able to convey the optical aptitude of canines is less than that of humans... it should not be a revolution... unless we start on the premise that they are human and act surprised when it is irrefutably apparent they are not.

Dogs is dogs. nothing more, nothing less.

Name:  everythings-grey-im-a-fucking-dog.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  53.8 KB
    Wirehunt, mattdw, rob270 and 1 others like this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Not quite, but close enough!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruff View Post
    Yeah... got that... without going into so much depth I think every dog handler would be able to convey the optical aptitude of canines is less than that of humans... it should not be a revolution... unless we start on the premise that they are human and act surprised when it is irrefutably apparent they are not.

Dogs is dogs. nothing more, nothing less.
    This might be a bit wine infused and so not very clear... the point I was making... is that as a handler I don't put a lot of store in my dogs eyes at all... I am constantly aware I see more than they do and better... noses on the other hand, is why they are there... that's all I pay attention to... i don;t think there is much to be gained having any great knowledge of their eyesight or how it works other than to know it's not great.

Name:  547125_603016286394769_2065632021_n.jpg
Views: 8304
Size:  44.1 KB
    P38, Pointer, Ruff and 5 others like this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    This dog is doing a bloody great job impersonating the bloke sitting next to him.

The best part is the bloke seems to be totally unaware the dog is taking the piss outta him too.
    Ruff and Maca49 like this.

wtf are they watching? 12 DAYS till duckshooting?
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Duck Commander DVD's
    Dundee likes this.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruff View Post
    This might be a bit wine infused and so not very clear... the point I was making... is that as a handler I don't put a lot of store in my dogs eyes at all... I am constantly aware I see more than they do and better... noses on the other hand, is why they are there... that's all I pay attention to... i don;t think there is much to be gained having any great knowledge of their eyesight or how it works other than to know it's not great.
    I'm guessing it's only better than ours but worse than their noses.
    Rabbiting they'll do a locate with the snout (except the brit) then they look, when they do that have the gun up. In fact I'll run with their eyesight is better than we realize.

Semantics... it's probably ideal for what they need in conjunction with other senses. Technically it is understood to be less than ours, less definition, less colour identification, as you say, good at motion detection, they certainly see differently to us... there are not many levels to think it is better than ours though...

Ejected
    You need to come down for a few days on the rabbits Ruff, it might change some of your ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    You need to come down for a few days on the rabbits Ruff, it might change some of your ideas.
    Well, as someone raised by a born and bred Otago man who ran Lurchers, spaniels, and terriers his entire life on bunnies, as someone with 30 years experience of hunting rabbits and training spaniels, labs, pointing dogs and more on bunnies... i reckon I don't... i reckon you can think whatever you like... the facts show I'm right, the science on dog eyesight shows I'm right... and you can think I'm wrong a;ll you like... i don;t... i know dogs have dodgy eyesight compared to us, their other senses are far better, more pronounced and more relied upon and the offerings of someone misinterpreting what they see and trying to force it on the rest of us is of little use...

Want a fact???... A dog's eyesight is OK... not as good as ours... FACT! Unarguable if you study the animal... smell, hearing.. way better than anything you've got... he may never see you fart, but he'll hear you and he'll smell it before you.

now, be sensible and stop talking crap... and I'm not being mean, you just simply are.... Dogs see worse than us... they do most other things better. Established, not up for argument... yes they can see a running rabbit. So can I! Dogs are dogs... not superman... they have a nose, and ears and their eyes are a distant third... humans have eyes, a nose and ears... the last two on a similar level, the former on a higher level....