Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree17Likes
  • 3 Post By Micky Duck
  • 3 Post By Micky Duck
  • 2 Post By rugerman
  • 2 Post By Marty Henry
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck
  • 2 Post By 7mm Rem Mag
  • 2 Post By Chelsea
  • 1 Post By Chelsea

Thread: 4 month old huntaway pup no balls

4 month old huntaway pup no balls

I purchased a stunning huntaway pup a month ago and have noticed he seems to have no nuts. He is 4 months old, I read it can take up to 6 months in certain breeds but should be by 3 months. Do huntaways take more time being a larger breed? Has anyone had this happen slower in their dog and it’s turned out fine?
    He’s a great pup showing natural ability and drive and the plan was to keep him an entire so I’m going to be gutted if that’s not going to happen. Not to mention the cost of getting him fixed if it’s going to require larger surgery.
    I can’t get him into the vets for 10 days so wanted to come here for advice in the meantime.

dont sweat it....balls will drop when balls will drop... if really worried ring your vets and zip in for a $90 feel up then another$150 for ultrasound then advice to go home and see what happens in another two months time.
    and either yo uwant him entire or not....if he isnt entire you wont be getting him 'fixed" ...oh how I detest that term...like being a male is somehow wrong....
    GSP HUNTER, rugerman and Woody like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

It might be a couple of months before anything pops down. If you are worried you could gentle squeeze above and see if you can feel the "beans".
    With a large breed like a huntaway there should be something there maybe the size of broad beans at that age, but they are probably just inside the body cavity.

rugerman..my eyes watered just reading that.......
    rugerman, OPO and Billbob like this.

Read it with your eyes mate, not your balls
    Micky Duck and dannyb like this.

I couldn’t find anything, not even any loose skin at all. Going to be devastated if they don’t come down. Haven’t had anything this late developing before but have also only had a small number of dogs really.

Gender diverse is evidently all the rage nowadays.😆 It won't affect him as a working dog in the slightest but if breeding was your intention then that could be a problem
    Micky Duck and 7mm Rem Mag like this.

paint the kennel in a rainbow and call dog francis do you think @Marty Henry???
    Marty Henry and 7mm Rem Mag like this.

Dogs are very intelligent and pick things up very quickly, after watching some woke TV he may want to identify as non binary.
    madjon_ and Micky Duck like this.
    When hunting think safety first

I wouldn't get too worried about it yet but there should at least be a small bit of skin where they will drop into. They may be trapped in the body cavity but if after a couple of months you can't see anything I would be getting an ultrasound to see if they are there ( I'm betting they are there)

Quote Originally Posted by Chelsea View Post
    I couldn’t find anything, not even any loose skin at all. Going to be devastated if they don’t come down. Haven’t had anything this late developing before but have also only had a small number of dogs really.

Identifies as a bit of a bitch at the moment....
    in all seriousness though he is a very good looking fella and shows plenty of talent and natural drive and has a 10/10 nature, while I’m
    hoping I can make a useful working dog out of him I would love to breed from him down the track because of his good attributes. If his balls don’t drop I’m pretty sure we either have to leave them there which increases risk of testicular cancer or get them chopped out. I’ll give it a few more months, I have to take my new cats in for the snip and will see what they think about the pup for his age.
    rugerman and 7mm Rem Mag like this.

My boy is 7 months old and still squats for a pee just a late bloomer I think. Will be good to get the vet to have a feel around but I would think it will be ok. Ya do never know though with animals. The main problem with retained balls is the heat kills the sperm so won't be fertile, but will still be producing testosterone so will still act like a boy.

Quote Originally Posted by rugerman View Post
    My boy is 7 months old and still squats for a pee just a late bloomer I think. Will be good to get the vet to have a feel around but I would think it will be ok. Ya do never know though with animals. The main problem with retained balls is the heat kills the sperm so won't be fertile, but will still be producing testosterone so will still act like a boy.
    He certainly still tries to act like a boy but his only options are a 2 other boys or a bitch who is fixed and more manly than anyone.
    I can’t even see any extra skin for the boys to drop down so hopefully that changes and isn’t hindering the whole thing. I’ll give it two more months anyway and seek advice in the meantime.
    rugerman likes this.

Should have descended by 8 weeks… they might retain one that may or may not drop in time , but normally you would get him fixed at 12 months