Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree40Likes
  • 30 Post By silentscope
  • 3 Post By HNTMAD
  • 3 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By 223nut
  • 2 Post By snowboyd
  • 1 Post By silentscope

Thread: It all come together.

It all come together.

Finally cracked getting a deer with rudi. Was my spotting and shooting to get the stag down then we headed down to the area it was laying. Rudi got the scent a way off and lead me straight to him. Once he saw the deer he burst with excitement and couldn't get down fast enough to start tearing into it. Very cool experience our first time finding a downed deer. Hopefully this will lead on to finding more deer and even getting onto some live ones I can shoot over him.
    Name:  20220806_104619.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  4.87 MB

O for awesome

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

good stuff,funny how the dogs start to "pluck" the deer....Meg does same thing then has coughing fit LOL.
    Enjoy the venison and give the boof a pat.
    rugerman, Pixie Z and Ned like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

One idea I regret not doing with mine was make them bark when they find it. Bloody annoying when you the dogs less than 50m away and you know they will be standing beside the deer but can you find them.....

Good work, the first of many I'm sure
    Micky Duck likes this.

Fantastic!!

Go Rudi, sounds like he's getting the idea

The first time I got a possum with my pup, he was pulling out mouthfuls of fur so much I had to rake it out of his throat with my finger as he was gagging on it.

Awesome! - consider using a word to link the find coming in. "good FIND", then in future FIND and "good FIND". You can then use a come command to get dog from downed deer to you and repeat FIND command as you zero in on the dog and deer.
    silentscope and Pixie Z like this.

Awesome. Your biggest challenge will be keeping him in close once he gets keener and keener. Great fun

Quote Originally Posted by stagstalker View Post
    Awesome. Your biggest challenge will be keeping him in close once he gets keener and keener. Great fun
    that is our biggest challenge at the moment, when were out in areas where there is deer sign and he just wants to run ahead and follow the smell, its annoying having to stop him every 30 seconds so I can keep sight of him. he is getting better as time goes on. hopefully when we get a couple more deer he will realize he doesn't need to get there as fast as possible and our stalking will be more successful.
    stagstalker likes this.