Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Hidey31
  • 1 Post By Boaraxa
  • 1 Post By Munsey

Thread: any "wiser" pig hunters around Canterbury?

any "wiser" pig hunters around Canterbury?

Hi Guys didn't want to offend anyone so used the word wiser also sometimes meaning older pig hunters!!!

im looking for any "wiser" pig hunters to have a yarn to and may be able to offer some good advice/help on starting a pig dog off.

Been a few years since I had the use of a mates dogs for hunting but have since moved regions.

Cheers

Ben
    Wirehunt and dannyb like this.

Best thing todo is buddy up with a pig hunter , however make sure beforehand you have stock proofed your dog , e collars & a sheep dog working sheep is great at curbing wicked ways.
    tetawa likes this.
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

Will have a lot to do with country you are intending to hunt and type of dogs you want to run ? . So many variables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    stingray likes this.
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    Will have a lot to do with country you are intending to hunt and type of dogs you want to run ? . So many variables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dogs a dog they all need trained to some degree & pig hunting being what it is your often all over the show , sometimes there's good merit hunting forestry's were there's not a lot else , you no leave the young dog in the back of the dog box were it cant do any harm & let it out only when the others have scragged a pig they basically don't get the opportunity to chase anything else so a big plus if your hunting with a experienced pac as no sane pig hunter wants a mutt to possibly corrupt the rest <- its about there where stock proofing comes into play , say what you like but you can have the best dogs in the land but when one starts chasing stock the force is strong so as mentioned my fav admittedly it was always easy for me as I had access to e collars & have my own sheep & working dog , but the focus should be on other dogs being able to chase stock , aside from your pig dog if you can get them to that stage which done rite only takes a few go,s your away & will put in good stead with farmers & other hunters , avoid meat heads...good luck
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

Bill Westwood in Geraldine could well be worth getting in touch with.... know the man personally through SAR and have read his book...loved every page,his logic made sense to me having run dogs years back on pigs.