Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 5 Post By gonetropo
  • 3 Post By JoshC
  • 1 Post By stagstalker

Thread: Bitch won’t stop digging

Bitch won’t stop digging

We have a high energy little kelpie, lab x, no amount of work tires her out.
    The bitch won’t stop digging holes. I tried the dog poo in the hole method which worked but then she will go and dig somewhere else. Half of it’s pointless hole digging in random spots the other half is trying to get under the house because she seen a little lizard. Iv rubbed her nose in it, put her in her kennel. After she’s dug she knows she’s done wrong and the look of guilt gets her caught out. She got in trouble for a hole near the house yesterday and then she’s only out for an hour this morning before I found her digging a new hole under the trampoline.
    She’s a wicked little dog but honestly I’m about ready to bury her in her own hole, kidding I won’t but....

super hot chili !!!
    my 35kg dog would dig holes so big all you could see was his head sticking out afterwards.

the big question is where does all the soil go that comes out of the hole as it never seems to re-fill it.
    i'm guessing worm hole to a planet filled with : soil, ballpoint pens, single socks and tupperware lids
    northdude, Woody, 40mm and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    Electric collar time
    We use a collar when we take her out to try keep her settled and because when we got her she had no call back at all. I thought about using it around home but wasn’t sure if it would cause issues with her using it out and about

@Chelsea
    I think the dog has a high hunt/ prey drive and probably is substituting worm or larvae hunting for the real thing. I think it may pass but otherwise its kennel run at all times other than when working or hunting or otherwise under control.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    @Chelsea
    I think the dog has a high hunt/ prey drive and probably is substituting worm or larvae hunting for the real thing. I think it may pass but otherwise its kennel run at all times other than when working or hunting or otherwise under control.
    She has a really high drive to hunt, she gets obsessive if she thinks she sees something so this could be the issue. I hate locking her up but might have no choice for now.

Simple. Put her in a run. Let her out under supervision, for training, her runs etc. Don't give her the chance to dig, then there is no behaviour to correct.
    Sideshow, kbrebs and stagstalker like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

a leg in collar sorts it for SHORT space in time.....after being caught in the act.... had dogs in past that did it and exercise has always been the answer....pooh in holes works but as you say they just dig somewhere else.....those weeds in garden and on drive can be transplanted into refilled holes....pepper sprinkled in dig prone areas helps.

Ive got a kelpie x huntaway. When she was around 1yo she started digging and chasing shadows seemingly out of nowhere. I started pissing and putting mouse traps in her holes and that seemed to work. She was a very energetic pup and calmed down alot by 2yo. Mental games help as well, save up your toilet paper rolls, fold each end, fill with treats and hide them around the yard.

Some good points above. She is obviously doing the behaviour when unsupervised so keep her in kennel when unsupervised and then let her out only when you are there and in control. Also as mentioned, dogs don’t show guilt when you tell them off after the fact. They cannot link a past crime to the present. When a dog does the guilty act they are just acting in response to the body language/behaviour that you are displaying. To tell her off and for her to link the crime you have to growl within the moment that it is actually happening otherwise the growling is pointless and makes no sense to them.
    JoshC likes this.