Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree16Likes
  • 4 Post By Rushy
  • 2 Post By Jake77
  • 2 Post By rugerman
  • 2 Post By tiroahunta
  • 2 Post By The bomb
  • 1 Post By ONYVA
  • 2 Post By mikee
  • 1 Post By erniec

Thread: Bitchy Bitches

Bitchy Bitches

Having only had dogs previously so bit of a new experience with a GSP cross bitch this time. She's coming up 2 years and noticed she's getting a lot more grouchy around other dogs, particularly other bitches and will try an assert domenance at any opportunity.

Thankfully it has just been a bunch of snarling and wrestling - no bites so far. She used to be very chilled out and sociable so wondering if I need to clamp down on this behaviour harder. She's great with kids and cats etc so no worries there.

Any advice appreciated.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Two words, “menstrual cycle”. It happens to human bitches as well.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Was hoping it would be a passing thing tied to heats rather that permenant attitude but now you mention it I do know some human specimens with similar traits!
    hamsav and keneff like this.

Sounds like she is reaching maturity, and so wants to be the boss of the other dogs at least. I would have thought you might have had it with the males as well, where they start testing the boundaries and want to be the boss of everyone and everything. It is a tricky business since when you meet other dogs you are with her, so she has some back up which can lead to her biting off more than she can chew ( metaphorically as well as actually). There are a few things you can do, but instead of wanking on and on about it I will only mention one. Just before you meet the dog, use all your positive "good dog" voice and words to tell her "there's a little doggie, oh what a good doggie" so you keep the tone light and stress free. Then as they come into contact with each other make sure you tell her what a good girl she is and "oh should we all have a biscuit" or some other treat talk so she knows you are happy and not worried about the other dog. One of the problems is that once you get nervous about the meeting she ( and any dog) will pick up on the lift in tension and think there is something wrong. So it can become a vicious cycle which feeds back on itself.

Good luck and maybe try a bit more reinforcement of the basic, sit, stay etc.... to remind her your incharge and will handle any problem that crops up so she doesn't have to worry about it.

lol oh turns out I did bleat on a bit
    Maca49 and Micky Duck like this.

yes,you are the boss...you wouldnt let one of your kids away with it..so why let your dog...tell her to pull he friggin head in...and make her do so....whatever you do,if she in a dinky die scrap DO NOT put stop whistle on her...she will obey and get creamed.
    Im a firm believer in carrying a healing stick when walking dog in town.....wonderful thing for batting away ankle biters who puff up and want bit of your mate...YOU have it under control so your mate doesnt need to....

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    yes,you are the boss...you wouldnt let one of your kids away with it..so why let your dog...tell her to pull he friggin head in...and make her do so....whatever you do,if she in a dinky die scrap DO NOT put stop whistle on her...she will obey and get creamed.
    Im a firm believer in carrying a healing stick when walking dog in town.....wonderful thing for batting away ankle biters who puff up and want bit of your mate...YOU have it under control so your mate doesnt need to....
    Healing stick aka hearing aid…gotcha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    erniec and Micky Duck like this.

you.l never see a weorse fight than 2 bitches goin at it.
    talk about dirty and vicious
    usually it,l be other bitches they pick on and you may have to decide whether shes worth the hassle

Mines getting grumpier as she gets older,used to tollerate little dogs at the beach,now if they bother her she snaps at them ,much to the dismay of their owners even though my dog is walking. Nicely with the family when the uncontrolled lap dogs come and bother her.she wont tollerate big dogs that wont go away after the mandatory butt sniff either,a quick sniff is ok but don’t overstay your welcome in her books.
    rugerman and Micky Duck like this.

my bitch rules my kennels

Quote Originally Posted by upnorth uplander View Post
    my bitch rules my kennels
    same here, and I dont have a dog
    Micky Duck likes this.

I have only ever had one dog, all the rest were bitches. My husky bitch ruled the roost.
    I still remember we were babysitting a friend English Bully and the owner warned us to watch her as she was fiesty and strong. Well we were inside there was a scuffle and when I got there Miss Pokey the bully had blood dripping off all 4 feet an my husky was at the other end of the section acting all inocent
    Huskys are very speedy After that sort out they got on like a house on fire!!

Currently have 2 bitches of same breed, Nanny rules the roost, tolerant until she has had enough and youngun gets put in her place.
    rugerman and Micky Duck like this.

My lab bitch is the softest softy you would meet haha. Will roll over and submit to anything

If you have bitches and they start fighting you may find it will not stop.
    Unlike dogs where the top dog stays on top and that seems to be it.
    But if you have the fighting start you may have to get rid of one.
    With working dogs kenneled separately and under command all the time you can manage it.
    But if in each others company it can end up ugly.
    Micky Duck likes this.