Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Bloody grass

Ejected

Bloody grass

Let the dogs out for their morning run last Sunday and one of them was off colour. She couldn't stand properly and wasn't happy, so inside to bed for the day.
    By midnight she was fitting and all kinds of shit that go with it. If I'd had a suitable gun I would have done the job then.
    Anyway, come morning she was still alive so over to the vet at dawn crack.
    They rung an hour and a half later saying she had gotten worse so got told to do the job quick.

In the summary of what happened they kept thinking poison, but I was 99% sure it wasn't. They then worked out after alook some grass seed, barley i guess, had worked into her ear, burst her eardrum and caused a brain infection.

R93
    That's friggin sucks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Shit thats out of it. Stink news mate.

Wirehunt thats awful mate.....really feel for yer mate, i would hate that happen to my dog....any dog for that matter!
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Bugger mate
    Barley grass seed and dogs don't mix.
    Hade a awesome huntaway get paralysed a few years back, barley grass went in through the foot and into the blood stream and got stuck in the spine. Had two get put down.
    Now all 13 farm dogs have well trimmed foot hair.

Truly sad when a companion goes before time

that's not very good news at all

sorry to hear that wirehunt... I had a grass seed issue couple of years ago with the dog. It worked its way under the skin and ended up right at the bottom of the chest, thankfully it never punctured thought the chest cavity... But surgery was required and the dog was on a lead for a month without any running a month before shooting season.

But his head shaking always freaks me out for the sole reason of not being in the situation you are in now...
    Been to probably 3 ostoscopies towards the end of last year, thankfully its all ear inflammation from pollen or that's what they say...

That is just plain Poo.................... Something I am always worried about too
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Fulla
    Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    Bugger mate
    Barley grass seed and dogs don't mix.
    Hade a awesome huntaway get paralysed a few years back, barley grass went in through the foot and into the blood stream and got stuck in the spine. Had two get put down.
    Now all 13 farm dogs have well trimmed foot hair.
    how does the trimmed foot hair help keep the seeds out? I would have thought longer was better.
    but I wouldn't know. I never knew such issues happened from grass. very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by bully View Post
    how does the trimmed foot hair help keep the seeds out? I would have thought longer was better.
    but I wouldn't know. I never knew such issues happened from grass. very interesting.
    It gets caught in the hair first,
    Hairy dogs are worst of all.

Fulla
    ok, I see. thanks.

the more hair the worst it is... having an irish with "red" coat (i still think its brown)... sometimes its hard to see the fuc-ers especially with dried up barley grass seed...

Just buy a fleas comb, run it through the dog and it will pick a lot of the seeds up... Then check the dog's vital areas. Under the front and back legs, gorin, and the paws...
    I tend to check ears regularly thoughtout the walk if I see grass seeds where I run him... but best to avoid the places as a whole...

Basically if you see shit get stuck in your socks when you go for a walk. change the area coz sure as hell your dog will get the same things stuck in his coat.

Fulla
    so dogs with short hair, or if you can see it say... on your socks, but not on the dogs coat should be much less risk?

LOL... I meant it in a humorous way coz I just end up picking things of my socks right after picking seeds of my dogs coat. need to buy gaiters

I'd check my dog's paws anyways... you never know when a seed will get stuck...