Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Pointer
  • 2 Post By kawhia

Thread: Cases of dog attacks studied at Middlemore Hospital

Cases of dog attacks studied at Middlemore Hospital

The August 2011 edition of the NZ Dog World published an interesting article on the study of dog attack patients at Middlemore Hospital...i quote...

63% of the biters known to the family, 19% were family dogs, 17% were unknown
    59% of bites were to the face/head
    57% of children were unsupervised by someone 18 years and over
    43% of children were supervised
    58% of dog breeds were reported as Pit Bulls, Pit Bull-crosses, Staffie-crosses
    62% of children were male, 38% female

Unquote...

Study of dog attacks through hospital records is not real accurate on the breeds that will bite, but is an indicator to breeds which cause the most harm... The majority of bites will not require hospital treatment other than those from breeds inflicting great harm, even with only a "nip".

So we can safely assume that if we stopped 62% of young boys sticking their faces 59% of the time into the faces of 58% pitty/bully/staffys, we would still have dog attacks, when dogs and people aren't managed 100% correctly?
    EeeBees likes this.

no data on how the mirco chip helped to avoid any of the attacks mind.
    Last edited by kawhia; 27-02-2012 at 06:48 PM. Reason: spelling
    veitnamcam and Pointer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kawhia View Post
    no data on how the mirco chip helped to avoid any of the attacks mind.
    Exactly!!!!
    I am at a loss to know, like most people I am sure, how an little encrypted lump the size of a small grain of rice could possibly stop a dog from biting...must be something pretty special, alright....

Quote Originally Posted by Ruff View Post
    Study of dog attacks through hospital records is not real accurate on the breeds that will bite, but is an indicator to breeds which cause the most harm... The majority of bites will not require hospital treatment other than those from breeds inflicting great harm, even with only a "nip".
    and misidentification of dogs, it seems anything with a bit of muscle is pit/staffie if you ask people around here

Yeah. You are dead right. My dog is a Staffie /Lab cross and you couldn't have a nicer, more laid back dog. Staffies score 5/5 (5 being best) in the barkbusters book for family dogs. The number of people I see looking nervie because she is a little bit stocky astounds me.

Just another outdoors addict
    Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    Exactly!!!!
    I am at a loss to know, like most people I am sure, how an little encrypted lump the size of a small grain of rice could possibly stop a dog from biting...must be something pretty special, alright....
    That would be a great question to put to the lobbiests who acted for vets. $70 for every dog forever is quite an earner to the vet industry?

Check with your local council... we can get our ranger to chip our dogs for about $25 each.

I got mine chipped for free, check with your local council they had times they were doing free chipping at the kennels, just had to turn up and line up, pretty quick job I like the chipping, I run my dogs with no collars when in the field hunting as they can be a danger in some of the situations, the chip means the dogs can still be id'd if picked up

Free chipping- cheap/ subsidised chipping, money still comes from somewhere (other's dog rego?). Free cheap or expensive it's a cost to dog owners for the forseeable future and it isn't going to stop dogs biting

wont stop biting but suits me fine...My dogs actually lose their collars quite often so I like the fact they cant lose their chips...

Max followed his.... um nose for five days a year or two back. I had a tip a black dog was seen heading back toward Masterton on a Friday night. I went looking and again Saturday and Sunday. I had all but given up hope. Monday I get a call from the pound asking if I'd like my dog back. I did. He said he had been picked up Saturday back in town (on his way home?), from which I suggested an earlier call might have saved some time, miles and worry. Although one of the local dog rangers had read his chip once before they had to wait until Monday to log onto the national database? So it does work for lost dogs, however I had already called the two district council pounds he may turn up at. Most people will call the pound if they find a dog. I had also visited the 5 or 6 farms he was seen sniffing around..... Had he been shot the chip wouldn't have worked. Max had a removal operation, but is still chipped, and has done no serious wandering since, hasn't bitten anyone either so perhaps the chip is working properly now

What frequency is the NZ one?