Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Cold tolerance

Cold tolerance

Hey team,

I have acquired a GSP x I suspect heading dog. I will post up a pic tomorrow to get your professional guesses as to what he’s mixed with. He’s 5 months old at the moment I was told.

Anyway, I have him outside in a kennel I just picked up. It’s in a decently sheltered spot.

My question is how cold is too cold for the dog to be out through the winter? He has his dog bed in there and I’m considering putting some extra stuff in like some hay?

Thanks
    Been Upto likes this.

I had a weimaraner and to help keep her warm a rubber flap on kennel door helped.
    When hunting put a home made polar fleece coat on her at night.
    They learn real quick what the coat is.
    No harm in keeping any dog comfortable and warm.

when you start hunting with him...invest in a neopreme vest,they love them or hate them...my first bitch loved hers but she was a shivery shit on a cold day,current bitch dries out faster than a duck so just over heats in hers....they also really help dog to float/swim..... in answer to your first question...would you sleep out there and be ok??? ours stay out in all weathers but they have good solid kennels with heaps of blankets etc for bedding...I tried the straw thing but it just seemed to be a big mess and dog slept out in run.
    jakewire and gsp follower like this.

Depends on there coat, one of my border collie has 5" chest hair (yes i measured it) and doesnt give a crap about the snow, except for when it balls up in his fur and you have to break them up. Another collie.... well i had 3 coats on him and he was still shivering, i was wearing 6 layers and i was bloody cold. (Working on a ski field)

Generally i'd go with if you were outside in a base layer and a tee shirt would you put another layer on? Packing blankets from the warehouse are cheap
    Micky Duck likes this.

Go into your local red cross or salvation army. They have blankets etc they don't sell for human use because of rips or not up to standard to on sell in there shops. Sleeping bags with broken zips etc.

Good comparison to being out there with a base layer on yourself. I’ll grab a couple cheap blankets and stuff them in.
    Definitely also invest in a good coat for him. Especially once we start saying out overnights
    rugerman likes this.

https://www.d-fa.com/collections/all...ity-jacket-red
    Been bloody impressed with "d for dogs" products soft shell seems to cover most things, combined with the merino underlayer and they will go through most things
    jakewire and tikka like this.

Nice bro! You going to run the blueprint with this pup?

Yeah man we have already started but we a few months behind due to his age, but he’s learning quick as.
    Good temperament on him unless he gets too excited.
    Weathers looking ugly @Been Upto but I’ll let you know when it clears

Thanks 223 I’ll check it out.
    Been Upto likes this.

Sweet brother look forward to some spring missions. Some pictures of pup would be cool too. Glad hes learning well

Banned
    I would say if he has already been sleeping outside from weaning, he probably has a good coat but if he has been inside or in a garage he won't have grown as good a coat coming into winter and will need TLC - you could put a heated towel rail under his kennel if you love him

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    when you start hunting with him...invest in a neopreme vest,they love them or hate them...my first bitch loved hers but she was a shivery shit on a cold day,current bitch dries out faster than a duck so just over heats in hers....they also really help dog to float/swim..... in answer to your first question...would you sleep out there and be ok??? ours stay out in all weathers but they have good solid kennels with heaps of blankets etc for bedding...I tried the straw thing but it just seemed to be a big mess and dog slept out in run.

straws to prickly especialy for bitches and pups .
    id go decent meadow hay and the flap .

anything gsp /visla/waimaraner I would put a neoprene vest on for water work .

they feel the cold especialy the southerly driven bollocks freezing cold here.
    and then theres the water chill.
    A330driver and Sako851 like this.

Bus driver
    Mate.....as a dog lover,.......sleep outside with him and see how you feel....STREWTH!!!!......SEND ME YOUR ADDRESS....I’m sending you a full bodied,waterproof dog jacket!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sako851 View Post
    Hey team,

I have acquired a GSP x I suspect heading dog. I will post up a pic tomorrow to get your professional guesses as to what he’s mixed with. He’s 5 months old at the moment I was told.

Anyway, I have him outside in a kennel I just picked up. It’s in a decently sheltered spot.

My question is how cold is too cold for the dog to be out through the winter? He has his dog bed in there and I’m considering putting some extra stuff in like some hay?

Thanks
    Last edited by A330driver; 28-08-2019 at 06:01 AM.
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

northdude
    A onesie and beanie should cover it

Haha I’m sure me and him could cuddle up and be just fine.
    Blankets it is though and like gap follower said some meadow hay maybe with a flap.

In the market for a decent coat as well