Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Deer dog?

Deer dog?

Hi guys,
    With new laws allowing us to use dogs to hunt deer and with the fact that the boss and I get are getting a house that's gunna be good for it I wanna get a hunting dog for deer. Thinking and wanting a gwp but missus like gsp, what you Gus reckon? Any other breeds? Looking for a pointer type dog with a good nose.
    Cheers,
    Jack

R93

Deer dog?

GSP all the way!

If you get a good one. He or she will go all day. Move at critical times with stealth and won't fuck you off with loud panting and chop slapping.

I am biased tho!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. So please forgive my sausage fingers!!!
    JoshC likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

lab / GSP cross, from a non-whining GSP sire, and a non-panting Labrador dam
    JoshC likes this.

R93

Deer dog?

Many snakes where you are?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. So please forgive my sausage fingers!!!

I've never hunted with a deer dog so I don't know shit but in my limited reading about deer dogs, it seems GSPs have a better reputation as good deer dogs than GWP - at least over here across the ditch.
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

That's interesting I was expecting the opposite. Over here from everyone you talk to and throughout wild deer magazine it's all wirehair.

Fair few snakes R93 but don't come across them a lot in the bush.

Does anyone know any reputable breeders for wire or shorthairs? Pups, started dogs or working dogs?
    Any help appreciated

Jack

Here, on the old continent, the GSP and the Brittany are first of all bird dogs. Very fast wide ranging dogs which are very popular in trials. In Germany, the worst place to buy a GSP if you want a bird dog, the breeders breed for a diffrent type of dog. They want a dog that can track deer, boar, kill foxes and cats, etc..... A lot less importance in high head carriage,range and pointing ability. If I would get a GSP to hunt birds I would buy in France, Spain or Italy. If I wanted a big game dog I would buy in Germany/Austria.
    More pronounced even for the GWP. In Germany this is a true allround dog with loads of importance in "sharpness" on boar,deer,fox. Also very strong in the water. The GWP in general is harder in temperament and so frerqeuntly harder in mouth. As a big game dog both will do the job. As strong that I am involved in spaniels, my two first loves are a solid liver GWP and a black labrador. Get the dog you like the most, on condtion he is adapted to the ground and game you have. A dog you don't like, may be as good as possible , you will never be on track with him.
    EeeBees likes this.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar

Deer dog?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackp. View Post
    Does anyone know any reputable breeders for wire or shorthairs? Pups, started dogs or working dogs?
    Any help appreciated

Jack
    Talk to RCGSP.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Not ideal for Aussie, you need to be within 30ft of water with one of these to keep cool

Quote Originally Posted by Bonecrusher View Post

Not ideal for Aussie, you need to be within 30ft of water with one of these to keep cool
    Do black labs get on point and half point? How good are their noses? I've always thought of them as retrievers but now that I've done a bit more research into deer dogs it seems like a fair few people use them.
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

A deer dog just needs a good nose, a calm disposition, and to be under good control. Doesn't have to be a pointer, or a gun dog breed. I've had a huntaway, a golden retriever and a heeler in the past. All were ok. The best I have seen was a foxy/heeler x. Another good one was a kelpie.

My current is a Wirehair Pointer. She's pretty good. I watch her nose and body language far more than I rely on her pointing.

This turned out to be spiker (that I missed)...

Last edited by Tahr; 29-01-2013 at 10:57 AM.
    DanS and 57jl like this.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    A deer dog just needs a good nose, a calm disposition, and to be under good control.

Mine is a Wirehair Pointer. I watch her nose and body language far more than I rely on her pointing.

+1

Jack the reason I asked about snakes is I have met a lot of blokes here (QLD)that have lost dogs too them. Mainly pig hunters.
    My GSP would have definitely been bitten by a snake as he couldnt help investigating anything new.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackp. View Post
    That's interesting I was expecting the opposite. Over here from everyone you talk to and throughout wild deer magazine it's all wirehair.

Fair few snakes R93 but don't come across them a lot in the bush.

Any help appreciated

Jack
    Sambarman Kennels in Vic breeds working GWP's. Think he's involved in VHH so should be easy to track down.

Quote Originally Posted by phillipgr View Post
    I've never hunted with a deer dog so I don't know shit but in my limited reading about deer dogs, it seems GSPs have a better reputation as good deer dogs than GWP - at least over here across the ditch.
    I would have to disagree with you there mate.........
    but then I m biased too. Sth island. at least I would say GWP.
    Machete don't text!
    (.)(.) = :-)))

Quote Originally Posted by gqhoon View Post
    Sambarman Kennels in Vic breeds working GWP's. Think he's involved in VHH so should be easy to track down.
    I've shot off an email to him so just waiting to hear back. Thought I'd just check out some others as well