Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Dog ear infections

Dog ear infections

Righto, my eleven year old collie cross keeps getting an ear infection. It's been going on for the last six years. Apparently, just before she came into my possession, she got a barley seed in her ear, it was operated on and since then she's been getting alot of dark brown, foul smelling wax buildup, I clean it regularly with a cotton bud ( I only use the bud as far as I can see, not right in diggin deep) and cleaning fluid when it gets bad. For the last year, there's also been a pussey discharge amongst it. The vet just gives me drops to put in to clear the inflammation and basically shrug their shoulders, which works til about a week after it's finished, then we're back to the wax etc again. They have a look in there and say "there's no foreign body in there".
    The vet reckons there's not much they can do other than me keeping it clean.
    It's getting very frustrating because my dog ends up in pain and I'm at my wit's end. It also stresses the poor dog out as she HATES going to the vet.

I changed vets 5 yrs ago because they argued with me about which ear was at issue! So
    I stopped with that vet.(if they dont remember which ear is crook 5 min after the been in it, I'm out)
    I guess I'm asking, has anyone got/had experience with this sort of thing, and what would your advise be. I can't change vets again without at least an hour's drive to a different town.
    Last edited by kidmac42; 11-09-2019 at 07:06 PM.
    Ya can't park there mate.

two things....contact Ruff and Kawhia one of them will know the recipe for the magic stuff...its got condies chyrtals in it is all I remember
    2nd..we had big black dog who did the same...and would come up with rash on his guts and scratch himself raw.....we put him on gluten free diet JUST CAUSE and buggermesideways issue dissapeared and didnt come back...we got local butcher to make up dog rolls without fillers/bread/crap..it was meat,veges,meat,cornflour to make it stick and meat.

I've had a couple of dogs that have had ongoing ear problems. Warm salty water is pretty good. Mix up some really salty water and get her to lye down on her side, and pour it into her topside ear and hold the flap over the opening and massage by holding the cartilage near the base. This should help loosen the wax and very salty water is great for mild infections.

I assume she has long hair around her inner ear. If so, trim it with some scissors so you can keep a good eye on the colour of the discharge.

With the salty water I would do twice a day for a start, then a bit less as it dries out. Just watch out for her ear getting too dry from the salt after a couple of weeks.
    Anyway good luck, and I hope it comes right
    kidmac42 likes this.

One of our pointers suffers ongoing ear infections. We use some type of drops from the vet, we too have changed vets and the results have improved markedly.
    anyway our boy is on a permanent low dose of antibiotics which seems to have sorted the problem at least for the last 12 months, We have to make a vet visit once every 12 months and then they just write the prescriptions as needed ie when we run out
    Sure it a hassle but so what our dogs deserve good care and at 11 its nearly that tearful time.......................again
    kidmac42 likes this.

Yeast infection ?
    Could be food or something in the environment a.
    Half a tea spoon or so of garlic per feed can help. (Sometimes they get a teaspoon)
    kidmac42 and Micky Duck like this.

The brown, smelly, waxy gunk is either a fungal (yeast) infection or bacterial infection. Symptoms are similar, but the fix is different. Sometimes the bacterial infection originates from ear mite infestation. The only way to know for sure is to look at it under a microscope.

So you really need to find a vet who is prepared to do the right investigation and determine the cause conclusively.

The puss however, is a different matter and typically a sign of foreign body.
    kidmac42 likes this.

@kidmac42
    Mix 50/50 vinegar and warm water. Get a small sprayer or eye drop bottle put a few good squits in. Controls our Springers issues no worries and lasts about 2 months. A few cents a year not a few hundred!
    ishoot10s and kidmac42 like this.

Hey, thank you for the replies fellas, I really appreciate it. When I was in there last month, the vet checked a swab under the microscope and came back saying there was alot of bacteria in there. Today a different vet in there(I seem to get different vet every time , they appear to go thru the staff) just looked and shrugged, keep it clean with the fluid (otocleanse) once I've finished another week of anti inflammatory medicine she says. Reckons no foreign body (standad reply Im learning).
    @Fireflite what sort of vinegar would be best?
    @gqhoon I'm pretty certain that earmites are not it, I enquired about that some time ago.
    @llewelyn crushed garlic or fresh clove? Probably won't t do her breath any favours haha.
    Thank you again to all you guys, am going over all replies carefully and thinking hard.
    Cheers.
    P.s. I would hit like on these replies but it ain't workin for some reason
    Last edited by kidmac42; 11-09-2019 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Fat fingeys, pore spelings, dum braine, take ur pik
    Ya can't park there mate.

@kidmac42 either or man. 😉
    Half a clove or half a teaspoon crushed
    kidmac42 likes this.

Coconut oil is another option, drop a small lump in and let it melt.
    kidmac42 likes this.

I have a old springer spaniel that has ear problems every time it gets wet.

the issue with dogs is they have a poorly designed ear that dosent drain effectivly and starts the warm wet conditions when the wether gets rainy

the last trip to the visit (after ottoclean and hair drying it dry after didnt get on top of the issue) I had them do a culture of the ear guk. there was four hard to kill bugs in they added some things to the special medicated wash im using.

there is a surgery that costs around 2.5k that can be done to straiten the ear canal out to make it drain way better but my dog is old as and I dont want to put her thru a major thing like that

Id be real keen to hear what other people have had success with
    kidmac42 likes this.

Epi-Otic is useful for routine cleaning the gunk out. Squirt some gently inside and then massage it into the ear and then let them shake which will flick some out, clean the rest with a paper-towel. Repeating every few days keeps on top of the worst of the gunk as it disrupts the warm / wet environment that fungus / bacteria likes to grow in (Epi-Otic has like an alcohol base to it to help dry).
    kidmac42 likes this.

Couple of my dogs had very hairy inside ears. Plucked this regularly and it releases a lot of wax buildup. Tried various vet remedies with temporary success. A good friend suggested a few drops of teatree oil mixed with an eggcup full of olive or coconut oil. I administered a couple of eyedrops into each ear canal daily for a week and had no more problems. Told vets and they frowned mightily not apptoving of "home remedies" at all; but for my dogs it worked better than any other treatment. May or my not work for others. Plucking excess intetnal ear hair is a good first step.
    EeeBees, kidmac42 and Micky Duck like this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

madjon_ and kidmac42 like this.