Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By DavidGunn
  • 2 Post By HNTMAD
  • 5 Post By HNTMAD
  • 1 Post By Bullers243

Thread: Dog kit

Dog kit

What do you guys carry in the way of kit for your dog while out the bush?

There's the obvious water, food, leash, coat and a bed of some kind but is there any other essentials you carry. Any first aid gear? I have heard that antihistamines can be a life saver if they get tangled up in ongaonga.

On a day hunt, a piece of string to tie him up and if coming home late a roll of insulation tape and something reflective to follow him home...if flying in, a bag of biscuits, if walking in, a pocket full...and like me he hopes I shoot something.
    scotty and HNTMAD like this.

Day hunts nothing, water is out of creeks nd puddles. If overnight i take 1/2 of her normal food and still end up bringing that back.....she dont eat when we stay out ......i put it down to excitment. As for sleeping, she makes a nest under a tree and i put my rain jacket over here. For fly in trips she sleeps in the hut, again with jacket over her and i take a smidge more food. Oh and I think I have some antihistamines on me

Hamish

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    mikee and piwakawaka like this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

antihistamines, there is other meds that will wrk if antihistamines wont. speak to ur vet, same as hntmad, have a vizla she eats less in the bush due to excitment . . Get to know ur dog. Autumn or winter a jacket for her at night.

Just to add, I'm not a fan of dogs being pack horses, some say if they come they should carry their own food and water or part there of. I see a dog as a tool, like my gun, my tent, my bino....I'm not carrying my dog but I should at least carry its food like I do ammo, bipod etc.

Some see it differently and each to ya own, you will never see my dog carrying anything. At the same time I dont hunt my dog in a jacket or vest as they can over heat, if super cold I will carry one for them to wear should we sit and glass but thats it. If your bush stalking then your moving and they are working and therefore be warm.

Enough said

Hamish

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    mikee, erniec, kbrebs and 2 others like this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

I carry 2 x 1 meter chains,as I have 2 dogs,very handy to tie dogs up ,also handy to tie deer legs and shoulders to trees for boning out or hanging.the chains are heavier than most hunters like but I prefer it over rope or string.when not in use they wrap around my waist above my belt,so I don't really notice the weight.
    HNTMAD likes this.