Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By Ftx325
  • 4 Post By Ftx325
  • 1 Post By hunter Al.7mm08

Thread: Dog transport from NI to SI

Dog transport from NI to SI

Hello,
    we have got a rescue pup in Auckland which we like to get to the north of the SI.
    Anyone got any experience with pet transport or have any suggestions?
    Much appreciated.
    Or you can stay within 300 yards and keep life a lot simpler.

If you fly up you can fly back with it in an approved crate - last time I checked it was $75 to check in a medium size dog crate - worth checking again though with covid pricing

we got ours sent down with a pet transport company on the plane . Was cheaper for us to do it that way rather than fly up and collect and bring back as "baggage" which is what we had originally hoped to do . With covid you must now go through a pet transport company rather than just as freight with the airline .
    Priced it with several different companies and the prices were quite different so pays to shop around . It was first suggested to us to use 'the pet bus' but it meant 2-3 days travel for the pooch and a drive to picton to collect the dog but flying him down meant only a few hours flying time and a 5 min drive to nelson airport to collect him .
    Was more expensive but well worth the extra we thought for the well being of the pup .
    I can check with my other half which company we used if you like ?
    rugerman, mikee and Shadowsol like this.
    born to hunt - forced to work

Thanks @ Ftx325
    we checked out the” pet bus “ people and they seem to be friendly, knowledgable and caring.
    the costs are less then 1/2 of the airline pet transport company.
    which company did you go with?
    $800 + for a trip from Auckland to Nelson on a plane seems a bit harsh.
    Or you can stay within 300 yards and keep life a lot simpler.

@diana2.... The pet bus people were certainly nice but the excessive travel time for our pup put us right off , followed by a car trip to Picton and back as mentioned .
    We used an outfit called popular pets .
    Our little toe-rag travelled from Rotorua . We were originally told it would be through akl but ended up coming via welly to nelson . Cost around $400 , I think it was 390 .... And only around three hours travel time and Remmy arrived happy and no worse for wear .
    We did have to give a certain amount of notice before booking though but they did all the work and communicated with the sender and organized drop off etc. We just had to meet the plane . There are certain specs the crate has to be for travel which we also had to buy on top off that but the seller sorted that for us . Be worth giving them a call....
    Hope that helps.....

And this was within seconds of exiting the crate... happy camper !
    Name:  IMG_20210125_142313.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  5.62 MB
    Last edited by Ftx325; 10-03-2021 at 08:00 PM.
    rugerman, mikee, diana2 and 1 others like this.
    born to hunt - forced to work

You could check out "on route sport horse".they apparently do dogs also?

Sent from my SM-G390Y using Tapatalk
    bigbear likes this.

I think tulloch transport brings animals down too. I bought a dog down for $75 as a baggie after covid in July last year, surely it's still the same?

We bought our dog down when we moved south, went blue bridge and paid extra for the dog kennel on board. Was nasty little hole.

Still had to pay same price but was eventually allowed to leave dog in the comfort of the 80s series with food and water and was allowed to check on him ...... All after having a very long winded conversation after convincing staff the dog did not have access to my declared firearm and how he lacked the opposable thumbs to use it.....

I got a dog from Canterbury to Levin via a stock truck last year - didn't cost me anything (although I do use them a fair bit). Could be worth a try
    If my work annoys me, I cull them