Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By upnorth uplander
  • 1 Post By mikee
  • 1 Post By mikee

Thread: English Pointer Breeders nz?

English Pointer Breeders nz?

Anyone put me onto someone breeding English Pointers in NZ for hunting?
    Have had my heart set on a Weimarener for a couple years now but just cant seem to find anyone thats breeding them still specifically for hunting and due to their nature I dont want to risk trying to train a dog that just doesnt have it in him/her.
    Basically a lot of my hunting is tops type stuff, some of it longish range so dog would be more a "finder" and companion than anything but I would like to be able to pick up the odd animal in the scrub/bush with it also. Love the look of the English pointer so have decided I might go down that track and forget about a Wei for now.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

I can recommend someone but firstly they are called “pointers”. PM sent
    mikee likes this.

i can recommend who not to buy from
    upnorth uplander likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Why a pointer?
    Just for the looks of it?
    Arent they more inclined to want to hunt out ahead of you, ranging to find quarry.
    And your aim is to have it at your side and use its nose to find downed game, with some indicating at shorter ranges?

Just trying to point out the realities ( pun intended ) A more tranquil breed may suit the role better.

I had an English pointer & she was alright at hunting but I wouldn't get another one. They do feel the cold a lot more than some other dogs. I'm useing a small huntaway bitch now & she twice as good as the pointer & when she sees something she just stops & stears most dogs will do something to let you know there somthing there it's just learning to read your dog & how it's trained I don't know how much you had to do with dogs.

I have used mine on both feather and fur. Work excellent on feathers an OK on fur, (needed more exposure to the latter).
    Unfortunately I made both gunshy (don't fire an unsuppressed rifle close to them) my fault.
    On deer my girl would range 20-30 yards in front (I prefer this) I found the deer would usually be watching her and her them (on point) and not see me until it was too late.
    They are 10 now and have aged badly in last 12 months.
    They were not quiet in the bush, heavy on their feet,
    I would / will be getting another as I like the breed but they do suffer the cold. As a house dog they are excellent company (which is an important thing to me), ours have never given me cause for worry around stock. Some might say get a DD but the 2 I have hunted with were and still are bloody nightmares.
    sometimes1 likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.