Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gapped axe

Thread: GWP or DD on a sheep farm

GWP or DD on a sheep farm

I have been exploring getting a hunting mate. I am looking into a DD from Martin here in Palmy Nth.

I have had the concern raised of the farm stock, if the dog would be too tempted by the sheep/lambs? That is something i need to consider as I want to be able to take the dog over the farm looking for hares and rabbits.

I imagine it'll be in the kennel enclosure when I'm not around, whereas our old border collie is free range all day every day even when we're not here and only locked away at night.

This would be my first hunting mate, so a training nightmare (for the dog) as I learn

John

it shouldn't be a problem.
    Stock proofing a dog is not difficult.

My GWP is stock proof. Its no harder than 'possum proofing them and such like.

You'll learn as much as the dog mate. You'll be fine...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan M

if you are going to get one I hope you have A LOT OF TIME to spend with them the prey drive is insane in the DD not much less in a GWP but any bred of dog with out the right training will chase and worry stock

Ejected
    It's up to you to stock proof it. There shouldn't be an issue if that is done right and the dog isn't set up to fail.

Any dog that is left loose in a yard unsupervised which it can escape from is trouble .
    Stock proof your dog and keep it caged or dog proof yard you won't have a issue.
    Grew up on farms , town people would rent a farm house leave dogs loose all day no supervision or stock proofing and disaster
    Love walking my gun

Thanks guys. I've never had any issue with the collie, apart from being useless with stock. She is a pet and probably 7-8 years old.

As an exercise,I'm had wondered about getting Paul Hutton in for a couple of training sessions with her to see if I could get her doing some basic work for assisting with my sheep, but also giving me the opportunity to work out some of the training basics before getting a pup.

Cheers, John

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    DD? My GWP is stock proof to a degree, I still would not trust her or any dog running free and out of eyesight. My brothers GWP scragged sheep once to often, but then his dog controllment wasn't flash
    mikee likes this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

DD? what is this.

Quote Originally Posted by erniec View Post
    DD? what is this.
    Deutsch Dratthar they are very similar/identical to a German Wirehaired Pointer (GWP). But to call it a DD the dog/bitch needs to be registered with the DD organisation in germany. All dogs/bitches need to be tested before they can be bred from. Only dogs/bitches who pass can be bred from. I think they also say which dogs can be bred to which bitches to maintain their lines.

Tested both for basic and higher working ability as well as physical and mental standard.
    There is a min requirement prior to breeding, but no restrictions other than both parents must be certified as breed quality and close inbreeding is a no no.
    The Germans call everything a Drahthaar including gwps.

Martin is a bloody good bloke with excellent working DD'S , you won't go far wrong with one of his dog's

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    my first gwp was called a Drahtaar by the breeder, I shot it at 26mnths, They replaced it with another and that was awesome. I shot Lace because of her aggressive nature, attacked the kids, my kids. her hunting / working ethic was good. May, the replacement bitch was nothing like lace and lived till 13yrs. I trained Jazz current GWP with May.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"