Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: GWP x GSP x Lab Pups available soon

GWP x GSP x Lab Pups available soon

Hi guys,

A good mate of mine, Glen, will have several pups available in 8 weeks time, so expressions of interest as being sought through hunting sources before we start advertising them on tardme and facebook etc.

Pups arrived on Saturday. All looking really good, but we'll see how they get through the next week or so before putting them out there so to speak. Tikka is doing a great job of feeding them.

Planned mating was between his Lab/GSP bitch and another mates Lab/GWP dog.

Our intention was to breed to get a new versatile hunting pup each, as well as be an option for other mates who'd suggested they may want one.

Both dogs are hunters, Tikka more so ducks than anything else, shes a great water dog. She hasn't done much on deer, but she was initially bought to be a duck dog and was trained as such.

Harry is a bit hard on ducks but is a big strong dog who is very good in the water. He's brilliant on upland birds, although Scott hasn't used Harry for quail etc for a few years. He is also a very good deer indicator ... which is what he is mostly used for now, and was for a time trained to bail pigs. Harry was originally my cousins dog who bought him as a pup, trained him for deer, but went down the pig hunting route and retrained Harry to run with his pig dogs. When I arranged Scott to take him off my cousin, Scott retrained him as a deer indicator, which Harry transitioned back to within a few hunts. He is a brilliant all rounder and a very quick learner.

Both dogs have fantastic temperaments, are family dogs when they aren't hunting and are free of any health issues (vet checks done before mating).

If you are interested, or know someone that may be, get in touch and we can talk finer details later.

We still haven't figured a price, but it'll most likely be a fair price just to cover feeding and vet costs etc. Most dogs of this breeding sell for around $400-600 I think...as a ball park figure. Obviously we'd prefer the pups to go to a hunting home, but if not then so be it, as long as it was a good home.

Cheers
    Josh.
    muzr257, 8pt Sika, Rich007 and 1 others like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

GWP x GSP x Lab Pups available soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    wsm junkie, tetawa and Mathias like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Sorry photos are blurry as they are all screenshots off video footage.

Photos of parents.

Tikka. GSP x Lab

Harry. GWP x Lab

@JoshC is there any black and white's? looks like a good size litter of pups

No black and whites. Brown and whites and solid brown. Yep pretty big litter all doing well at this stage.

stingray likes this.

could you flick me a pm when you settle on a price id want a dog pup for waterfowl and gamebirds
    but given the obvious mixing and admitted hard mouth of the father will not pay silly money.

I want a dog also.

Dan M

Quote Originally Posted by gsp follower View Post
    could you flick me a pm when you settle on a price id want a dog pup for waterfowl and gamebirds
    but given the obvious mixing and admitted hard mouth of the father will not pay silly money.
    Ok. I will let Glen know you are interested and keep you informed. He is away to Stewart Island for a week, so won't be making a call on price yet. They're realistic and want the pups to go to good hunting homes preferably. We already have homes for 5 possibly 6 of them.

Harry was never "trained" to be a duck dog, his duck retrieving training was in the field. So essentially the hardness was never trained out of him, and to be fair on him, probably developed through holding pigs. He will retrieve any bird from the tightest of crap, and return it to hand. Tikka is a good retriever, and gentle.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I want a dog also.

Ok mate, I will keep you informed too. Just follow this thread for updates as well. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    Ok. I will let Glen know you are interested and keep you informed. He is away to Stewart Island for a week, so won't be making a call on price yet. They're realistic and want the pups to go to good hunting homes preferably. We already have homes for 5 possibly 6 of them.

Harry was never "trained" to be a duck dog, his duck retrieving training was in the field. So essentially the hardness was never trained out of him, and to be fair on him, probably developed through holding pigs. He will retrieve any bird from the tightest of crap, and return it to hand. Tikka is a good retriever, and gentle.
    cheers for thsat.
    unfortunately hardness of mouth cant be trained out but yes holding pigs wouldnt help.

Quote Originally Posted by gsp follower View Post
    cheers for thsat.
    unfortunately hardness of mouth cant be trained out but yes holding pigs wouldnt help.
    No probably wouldn’t have helped

Gidday josh , are these all earmarked already ? If not id be very keen on one , preferably a bitch . Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Update.

Pups are doing well, they're all feeding well and putting on weight easily. Eyes are open and they're pretty mobile.

All of the b*tch pups are accounted for...there were only three and they were basically accounted for before the litter were born. The brown and white coloured dog pups are gone too...at this stage.

But there are several brown dog pups available. I think six, but will confirm.

These won't be officially "advertised" for sale until the pups are 4-5 weeks old. There's quite a lot of interest in them, so they may not need to be properly advertised yet.

If you're interested in a brown dog pup, let me know, and I'll get you put down to pick one around five weeks old.

Price will be $650 per pup. And they will be ready to go all vaccinated and wormed no sooner than 8 weeks, so mid July.

Name:  IMG_1243.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  638.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1252.jpg
Views: 834
Size:  535.6 KB

Cheers.
    Josh
    wsm junkie and Dawg like this.