Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree30Likes
  • 11 Post By tikka
  • 3 Post By MDub
  • 3 Post By mikee
  • 2 Post By akaroa1
  • 1 Post By Sideshow
  • 3 Post By EeeBees
  • 3 Post By veitnamcam

Thread: How many deer would you walk past without a dog?

How many deer would you walk past without a dog?

Here's Sig with another deer that he winded and pointed on.
    He started to wind her at around 380m and slowly tracking down on a main animal run. Then he turned off the run and he would point and then look back at me letting me know we are onto a animal and I signalled him to track on. I know when we are close within shooting range is when he will lockup and wont look back at me, so for seven on so minutes waiting for the deer to move into the open I had the rifle up looking through the scope looking at the ear of a deer through the manuka, then there was two ears twitching and then a head popped out, then another but bigger yearling moved into view. After a quick assessment the smaller was the cull animal and leave the bigger yearling to breed in a few months time. At this stage the hinds are only within 7m of Sig not even knowing that Sig and I were there and he is still frozen locked up and I was 10m behind Sig, I lined up the between the eyes and pop thud meat on the ground. Good boy Sig and lots of pats.

I would most likely walk past these deer if not for the dog and has happened many times now.
    Last edited by tikka; 22-01-2016 at 12:49 AM.

Well done Sig.oh and tikka
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

northdude
    just about all of them

Name:  P51231-074319.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  1.15 MB

I taught my mums dog to track deer for me, if there's fresh sign she takes me right to them.
    veitnamcam, Pengy and Micky Duck like this.

I cant say how many I would have walked past but I can say I would not have found the last one I shot (and messed up the shot) WITHOUT the Dog.
    But we are both still learning this "Hunting" thing. I think I tend to let my pooch range too far in front but I have found of the 3 deer shot over her, 2 of them were watching her when I shot them.

I don't think I hunt enough for her to become really proficient at it and "taking the dog" is really just an excuse for me to take my best mate with me.
    Carpe Diem, blake and llewelyn like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

And then there are the ones shot at a distance and then when you get over there they take a fair bit of finding !!!
    Like the spiker I shot just before dark last night ... by the time I got across to the area I saw him go down in, it was almost dark and looked very different.
    Josie my german wirehaired pointer eventually found it once she convinced me that I was a little higher on the scrubby face than I needed to be.
    Matt2308 and Micky Duck like this.

Awesome work! I need to get myself a sig!

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by madjon_ View Post
    Well done Sig.oh and tikka
    Be buggered, the dog just takes him cause he cant do the rifle thing himself...

Gotta love the dog, from last Sunday, heading In again Sunday to see what we can scare

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Quote Originally Posted by HNTMAD View Post
    Gotta love the dog, from last Sunday, heading In again Sunday to see what we can scare

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    Man I wish I could teach mine to lasso deer
    EeeBees likes this.

You don't really need a dog...your hearing, vision, sense of observation, sense of smell (those glands on their hind legs are not for decoration!!) are all there...the neat thing about the dog being with you is you have company...
    Wirehunt, veitnamcam and Sideshow like this.
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

I never hunt with one.
    I walk past plenty id say.
    I have always said bush hunting is percentage hunting.
    That said I did take my great dane/black lab cross to help find a stag the next day that I couldnt find .I had shot on dark and zig zaged the slip to no avail.
    Next day straight up the slip to where he was when I shot...dog paused in a patch of shit...called him out of it as i had seen the stag run for cover higher up.
    End result spent a good hour tracking and searching and had given up and on the way back down zac was in the same patch of shit ....there is the stag.
    Never taken him hunting before tho he has watched many a deer be butchered and scoffed the trimmings.
    Took him for a handy bush stalk not long after.....where the fuck is that dog? Back tracked and the big soft dozy prick is tangled up in the only patch of bush lawer in the block.

I will have a hunting dog one day...probably when/if I retire and have the time to put into a dog.

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    Grim, EeeBees and Pengy like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.