Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: I must be getting old and cynical

I must be getting old and cynical

At present there is a litter of a particular versatile breed for $1800 a puppy. Am I wrong in saying that is ridiculous? Are there people willing to pay that much on what is essentially, a gamble? I understand good breeding minimizes that gamble, but any honest breeder will tell you that even amongst the best bred litters they aren't all created equal. Is this targeting the folk who don't know better? Is this where marketing takes over from breeding?
    GWH and mikee like this.

anyone can ask whatever they want for anything . . . but will they get it . . . if they do, expect $1800 to be the norm until someone else tries to raise the bar again

I think it's a symptom of the rot, this stupidity, that is becoming firmly entrenched in dogs in general, but sadly is making its way into gundogs, which is a shame as its hunters that get duped.
    HF1 likes this.

Marketing, business, confidence in their breeding genetics, supply and demand...

Previously I was working in an industry where the normal rates were $45-60/hour. I had skills that were rare, and experience, confidence etc, so I charged $120/hr and people paid it all day long. I never sold it as an hourly rate, I inspected and quoted for free, I offered genuine advice and where I could help, I offered SOLUTIONS to their problems. People gladly paid the rates to solve their issues.

If they have the breeding, and no issues selling previous litters and the confidence in their stock that thei clients will see value for money, then mores the power to them.

IMHO only of course.
    kawhia and Ducdog like this.

I respect that, but no serious dog man could look a buyer in the eye and say they all turn out great. You have every chance of getting a dud as you do for the average of the whole breed. Dogs are dogs, not all are created equal. This particular breed doesn't have any advantage over similar ones.

Welcome to 2016 and the world wide market.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    I respect that, but no serious dog man could look a buyer in the eye and say they all turn out great. You have every chance of getting a dud as you do for the average of the whole breed. Dogs are dogs, not all are created equal. This particular breed doesn't have any advantage over similar ones.

For that sort of money you would want a "Leupold" warranty. Actually you might be better putting the money towards importing a dog with good genetics.

Pointer pups were $500 (looking at the expensive end of their "price range" when we first got ours now they seem to average $1000-1200 from the same breeder!
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Yes you are and yes.
    Pointer likes this.

This isn't the world wide market. This is a tiny collection of islands at the bottom of the Pacific. That price is motivated by greed and marketing, nothing more.

That's the thing Mikee, no breeder can guarantee a pup. They are livestock, not tools. The best he can do is offer to take it back or rehome. These guys have gone to lengths to import. I know they will bring up the covering costs issue but that could be done without such a margin.

That's the thing Mikee, no breeder can guarantee a pup. They are livestock, not tools. The best he can do is offer to take it back or rehome

I understand that totally and that's all I would expect a good breeder to do but not at the whim of the owner cause they "can't cope".

But then I never thought I would ever see someone charging more than a grand for what is really a mongrel (Cavadoodle or Pointadoor or Sprointer or some such thing)
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

This isn't the world wide market. This is a tiny collection of islands at the bottom of the Pacific. That price is motivated by greed and marketing, nothing more.

That's the thing Mikee, no breeder can guarantee a pup. They are livestock, not tools. The best he can do is offer to take it back or rehome. These guys have gone to lengths to import. I know they will bring up the covering costs issue but that could be done without such a margin.
    Such a small litter will not recoup much of there importing costs, what it does show is by advertising on trademe they have lost a fair bit of ground by not breeding in the last few years.....they were at the high end back then so nothing has changed there.

If a breed becomes "Fashionable" then kiss good bye to reasonable prices.People now charge what the market will bear, same as everything else these days.Unfortunately once some idiot pays over the top that sets the new price.
    HF1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sako 243 View Post
    Marketing, business, confidence in their breeding genetics, supply and demand....
    Pretty much the key elements of breeding long term.
    But in reverse order.

its $2000 for a chesapeake pup and ive seen up to $1750 for a lab pup. when they do all the genetic testing, hip xrays and so on for the sire and dam it adds up. that said if no one pays that price it will come down

My Mrs' brother wants (but can't afford) a French Bulldog - Not a working/gundog breed I know, but at $4500 for a puppy jeebus!
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee