Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By tetawa
  • 1 Post By Marty Henry
  • 1 Post By Happy
  • 1 Post By gonetropo

Thread: I need another Lab

I need another Lab

Three dog tragedies in nine months - we are just about over Labs and having broken hearts - but we have to try again
    We lost our Lab - Cruz last July - 9.5 years old and his heart blew out with a cancer
    We then found a 14 month old Lab with similar background to Cruz - within a month he was limping - early signs of elbow failure so after two months he went back to the owner - she didn’t accept that he had a serious elbow fault - despite our reports from a top Vet Pathologist and a top Vet Radiologist who took one look at the x-rays that were taken of him for breeding at 12 months old - our Vets told us to get rid of him - our local council rang me a week or so later to say he had been picked up on the streets in Wellington and was in the pound - so the owner/breeder moved him on real quick to some other poor buggar - they don’t seem to realize the heart ache that it can cause - but it’s all about money - but we got a full refund
    We then found a 16 month old Lab who was still with his breeder - he was their pick of a litter but was slightly short at the shoulder for breeding - they waited for him to grow a bit higher but he didn’t - he was such a lovely dog they couldn’t bring themselves to part with him - they vetted us and decided we would be suitable owners - so we have had him for six months - within a month he had skin problems - feet, ears, chin and anal - our Vets told us he was an allergy dog - we thought we might be able to manage it with steroids but we let him go back to his breeder last Monday to be re-homed somewhere safer - we are gutted, broken hearted and lost without him - the most wonderful dog I have ever trained - but he just couldn’t cope with the environment that I took him through while trapping
    We are too old to train another puppy so we are looking for an adult dog - one year plus - we have always had male dogs but we would also look at a bitch and have her spayed
    My Vet mate has always told me to stay away from pedigree Labs - but we can’t do it - we had four beautiful Labs and except for Cruz they all lived to old age - it has to look like a real Lab and have that wonderful Lab temperament - I wonder what is out there?

Shit mate, you've had enough bad luck for us all, hope next time is A1.
    mikee likes this.

That thread on needing a girls name got me thinking the same thing been many years since my last lab and that black bitch broke my heart when I had to put her down. Those puppy photos are close to breaking my resolve. I must not look at them again!!!!!
    2post likes this.

Identify your target beyond all doubt

Still looking for a Lab - we had a 12 month old girl on trial for three weeks - cost $2.3k from a top Lab breeder and show judge - but she had missed vaccinating for kennel cough - after a week with us she got KC - coughing, dry retching and vomiting - two trips to the vets - another $200 in vet fees and drugs - the vet said KC could cause other problems later in life - so we returned her. Never take any risks with KC - it is awful!

Its pain full as . Theres lots of folks I d readily help to bury before another dog.

Got lucky got this little girl and shes awesome. Never more that 3 or 4 feet behind me.

Started off being a wanderer but we trained that out of her by just keeping her on lead ,in kennel or in sight .

2.5 Years old re homed as owners "couldn't " spare time for her.

My gain for sure clever as this ratbag.. Pedigree dog Spayed

Keep trying mate !Name:  Charlie.JPG
Views: 196
Size:  1.68 MB
    time out likes this.
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

awful news you lost them, most issues are caused by inbreeding so if its not an issue a bit of mongrel in the mix isnt a bad thing. my mutt is a bull terrier x dogo.
    11 years old and can still chase out and kill a bunny, theres a lot to be said about a bit of a mix
    time out likes this.