Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By Kiwi_BT
  • 1 Post By Chur Bay
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck
  • 2 Post By rugerman

Thread: Kiwi aversion training

Kiwi aversion training

Hi,

What is the best age to get a dog through this course, I have a young viszla I'm hoping to use for birds so don't want to put him off completly.

All so there are 3 trainers listed for Northland im Whangarei based but wil travel reasonable distances, has any one got any advice on who to use?

Thanks

I did my lab x Gsp when she was 1. It's about time she got recertified.

I'm in mangawhai, so if you get details on an available session I'll be keen to get in on it. I tried to get on one just before the world turned to shit at the beginning of last year. I spoke to the guy from Dargaville (I think) and he was waiting on dates from DOC, but then COVID came along and I never heard anything more.
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

Morning @Dorkus, I'm also in Mangawhai and looking to put my 1 year old Vizsla through, did you end up putting your labxgsp through up here in the end? I've reached out to the guy in Dargaville. yet to hear back.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi_BT View Post
    Morning @Dorkus, I'm also in Mangawhai and looking to put my 1 year old Vizsla through, did you end up putting your labxgsp through up here in the end? I've reached out to the guy in Dargaville. yet to hear back.
    Hey mate, nah I haven't managed to get her sorted since it last expired... Definitely keen to do it if we can find someone willing to run the training/certification
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

Roger. Will let you know how I get on and look to do both at the same time.
    Dorkus likes this.

They put an electric collar on the dog, then walk it past a dead kiwi and Kiwi shit. If they show any interest at all they get a zap. Doesnt take long.
    Elrond likes this.

Contact the local DOC office here in Whangarei, I redid my setter not that long ago.
    They were doing a push with rural life styler's in bush areas with dogs. About a 30 min drive from town.
    Quick easy and my setter has not needed a reminder on his last 2 tests. Gets that smell and walks around them.
    Definitely gets the scent and then avoids it. So only needed a buzz on his first test and never again. He's 7.5 now.
    Has not put him of Pheasants or quall.
    I would suggest that if it's a soft dog (ie spaniel, setter ) you ask then to start gently. They are not a tough old pig dog.

Z

Quote Originally Posted by Elrond View Post
    I want to do some stock aversion training with my pup and have no idea where to start.
    What’s the process with kiwi aversion training, how does it work.
    there are two ways to look at this.....or not look at it...
    my first 2 dogs got walked past sheep and got a tap with healing stick if they even looked at them.....funny incident years later some pet lambs came screaming up to see us,my poor cocker spaniel was turning himself inside out to make sure he wasnt seen to be looking at them....
    or you normalize stock..eg yip they are animals,you can look but not touch..definately not chase or bite.... for ME that will be on a lead and get tap if they try to interact in a way I do not want..... your rock solid no bullshit STOP/SIT will be tested here if they want to chase....a longline mightnt be silly idea.
    cattle arent so much an issue,MOST dogs will try to hide behind you to get away from them.
    sheep/goats/chooks are no different to the cat..... its an animal and YOU HAVENT given permission to chase it...so dont plurry chase it or will get stick around your brown furry bum.....
    thats my way of looking at it anyway.
    rugerman and Elrond like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Ive actually got Meg my big black bitch to help work/muster sheep...she was brilliant and pissbowled naughty sheep trying to head in wrong direction,no biting just put shoulder down and piss bolwed sheep arse over tit...funny as heck to see. stood back and barked up like a champion huntaway..sheep dint know what the hell was going on so cooperated...
    rugerman and Ned like this.

Yep that's why I have a NO or LEAVE IT which basically means stop what you are doing and I'm super cereal about it you can use that for almost any encounter. I use it for "don't eat that dodgy shit", "don't chase that dog,cat,postie". A 100% stay command can be useful if they are headed toward some sort of danger like a road or machinery.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    there are two ways to look at this.....or not look at it...
    my first 2 dogs got walked past sheep and got a tap with healing stick if they even looked at them.....funny incident years later some pet lambs came screaming up to see us,my poor cocker spaniel was turning himself inside out to make sure he wasnt seen to be looking at them....
    or you normalize stock..eg yip they are animals,you can look but not touch..definately not chase or bite.... for ME that will be on a lead and get tap if they try to interact in a way I do not want..... your rock solid no bullshit STOP/SIT will be tested here if they want to chase....a longline mightnt be silly idea.
    cattle arent so much an issue,MOST dogs will try to hide behind you to get away from them.
    sheep/goats/chooks are no different to the cat..... its an animal and YOU HAVENT given permission to chase it...so dont plurry chase it or will get stick around your brown furry bum.....
    thats my way of looking at it anyway.
    Elrond and Micky Duck like this.

yip I use the same.....leave it,in varying tones right up to very serious "do it of you in the shit" tone.
    funny how I typed the above and left it out completely...leave it accompanied by wee tap...definately part of the programme....

now a shock collar is different...its impersonal and NOT FROM YOU if you do it right..... its the "thing" you want aversion to that gives the dog a shock...and typing that it reminds me of the way we treated humans not that long ago...
    saw cows in a paddock today behind a virtual wire...long lush grass just meters away and they all stayed in the little area they allowed in....

FYI,
    Just received an email that a training session is scheduled for this weekend.

A kiwi aversion session will happen this Saturday at Whananaki North if there are going to be enough participants.
    If you are interested please add your details to this On Line booking spreadsheet asap using the second to last tab (highlighted pink) and titled Whananaki 12/11/22.
    Please choose the next time slot available so that there are no gaps between dogs. Please add your email address because if we need to cancel, we will email you.

Please, no dogs under 6 months old or bitches on heat.

Happy to send contact details by PM
    Z