Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Lab sort of problems

Lab sort of problems

So I have this new 3 year lab Bitch Black smallish frame good breeding apparently She’s from Croftsway sold to buyers who thought she would not require attention just lie on the deck and be cool spayed and signed agreement not to leave nz or go to dog shows wtf.
    So her three years she’s had two extend eye opening ops plus spent a heap of time in doggie jail IE the odd two to three months at the kennels in a row

Anyway she’s clever. One afternoon she’s shaking hands high five in rolling over and behaving very well.
    Taken walking every night and behaves well. She’s my first female dog.
    My problem is she finds a dead bird a 20 year old skeleton it’s all over
    Will not come back ignores the whistle that without the food interference has been so awesome

She is gentle as and an awesome dog. I m lacking in trying to tie her to me
    My 14 year old lab I just look at him and he’s beside me Click my tongue he’s running at me
    Any help be welcome no interference I can stop walking hide and she comes to find me so quickly it’s not funny
    Hid in a barn she got 250 mtrs ahead and just sat Barely poked my head out and she’s doing 100 mph coming back

She is so clever I need some tips. If she doesn’t come back do what .? Ifs she’s been naughty and then finally lets you catch up do what

Any ideas or help welcome. She’s a lovely girl

Name:  44D361E4-2C30-4FBB-8C20-8A084B3BFC8E.jpeg
Views: 431
Size:  1.53 MB
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

Whilst she is mis behaving there is no chance of getting near her to Put lead on She keeps just out of range so well cheeky bitch

Had a foxie and had a real long line on him . about a twenty meter cord. would call him once, 2nd time would call him and give the cord a good jerk. He work it out

you said dead bird or 20 year old skeleton...me thinks you have a GREAT ASSET in the making....she already "birdie" and prooving she has a "nose" two things plurry hard to train in......much better to have then in spades and work out how to work with them.
    she wont come back.......dont let her go.
    trick with long line is DONT put it in your hands...let it drag and then innocently stand on it. dog comes to screaming halt...turns around and thinks" how the begesus did he do that??...
    dont do it too often or she will twig.
    been naughty and finnaly lets you catch up......walk her down,and keep going and going and going,give shake up when get a hold of her then take back to where you started and carry on. basically dont let bad behaviour be its own reward is my thoughts on it.
    if nightly walkies is where issue pops up...you COULD try old shepherds trick and tie both dogs together...she cant bugger off unless she can drag the old boy along too,he will get exercise but wont let her drag him off and you tell him to sit and she has no choice but to stop.
    hope that helps....Ruff where are you bud????
    Happy likes this.

Will follow with interest,Im in a similar boat with a rescue dog, lovely nature and awesome nose very high energy bitch, when the nose turns on the ears turn off.
    Happy and csmiffy like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Poor dog, id run away too

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Will follow with interest,Im in a similar boat with a rescue dog, lovely nature and awesome nose very high energy bitch, when the nose turns on the ears turn off.
    I’m sure that there is an answer to this VC. It won’t be @Gibo one though
    veitnamcam likes this.

Will she feel that not allowed in side to be part of the family that night means anything or is that waste of time

Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    Will she feel that not allowed in side to be part of the family that night means anything or is that waste of time
    Im am no dog trainer by any stretch but I figure there is no point in punishing later that day/they will just wonder why you are being a prick.
    Immediate reward or punishment they understand what they are doing is right or wrong.
    Bonecrusher, Pengy, Happy and 1 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Poor dog, id run away too
    Helpful as usual Thanks for that. Should have asked you first sorry for not getting clearance

Must be hard knowing every thing

Always good asking for unashamedly help here Hope some @ dog trainers reply Cheers team

Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    Helpful as usual Thanks for that. Should have asked you first sorry for not getting clearance

Must be hard knowing every thing

Always good asking for unashamedly help here Hope some @ dog trainers reply Cheers team
    Don't be a sook mate, you can dish it out just as well It was in jest I did not mean to upset you
    Pengy and Happy like this.

Sounds like she is self-hunting. What do you do when she takes off? do you repeatedly call her name/whistle? do you run off after her? Also do you hunt with her or plan to hunt with her? If so what sort of hunting? Will you be running her just as a retriever, or will she hunt and you shoot over her?

Quote Originally Posted by Hautapu View Post
    Sounds like she is self-hunting. What do you do when she takes off? do you repeatedly call her name/whistle? do you run off after her? Also do you hunt with her or plan to hunt with her? If so what sort of hunting? Will you be running her just as a retriever, or will she hunt and you shoot over her?
    She will be retrieving from ponds etc. when she gets wind of food there’s no calling her back Tried whistling her and calling no way she’s not interested I don’t run after her. She won’t get shot over as it’s all mai mai shooting and we stop shooting to do a retreive Be ducks only

the last dog I had that ran off and would not come back got a 165gr 308 cal round at 300m never ran any further ever again
    why? dogs are a tool and useless tools get destroyed

wonder if she was starved at some stage????
    sure labs have huge food drive but.......
    had a lab/gsp that was starved along with her litter mates and she always was demon for food,still made plurry awesome hunting dog but feeding time was all business.
    ok,you are the boss....you control the food.... dog does what she told and gets food,really great way to get sit down pat fast. just like an ambo you dont run,you "walk with purpose" and keep at it till she stops.dogs hate being "walked down"
    old advice but still good is to get dog retrieving mad....play the game till ya arm falls off..it will pay off come duck day..... for me,the retrieve MUST be to my hand....drop it and its ignored,kick it away and keep hand out,when it placed in hand,accept and rethrow it.
    a rock solid sit can be a "get out of jail " card. if dog STARTS to go off solo hunting etc whack the sit on her and get her back into line/control.
    Ruff where are you????
    veitnamcam likes this.