Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree18Likes
  • 4 Post By Fat belly Dog
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck
  • 3 Post By Shearer
  • 3 Post By rugerman
  • 1 Post By 223nut
  • 2 Post By Fat belly Dog
  • 3 Post By Kimber 7mm-08

Thread: Mountain Biking Dogs

Mountain Biking Dogs

Hi,

Anyone else ride MTBs with their dogs?,

I have been out of the bush for a few weeks with a crook ankle and trying to gain fitness back I have been doing more rides with the dog, do a couple of beach rides a week of about 10Km and Let Ziggy free run, We have hit a few of the local MTB parks in the last couple of weeks, doing an hour or so rides and then did a 20Km loop down Taupo last week and this weekend completed the 32km Whakarewarewa Forest Loop over in Rotovegus.

No problems with that distance and enjoyed the chase down hill. Plenty of rest stops and water on the ~3.5hr ride and it was nice and cool. We slow the pace down to let them cool down after a mad downhill dash and have her trained to trot in behind during the uphills, Ziggy loves to run in front but I prefer her to follow.

Good way to build hers and my fitness and can see that might be able to use the MTB to access a few hunting spots.

Flying dogs

Name:  flying dogs.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  471.2 KB

Cool down

Name:  bush break.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  744.0 KB

Waiting for the others to catch up

Name:  waiting for the boss.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  659.3 KB
    Barefoot, 199p, rugerman and 1 others like this.

just be aware you can burn off pads really quick on a hot hard road... looks like dog having an absolute ball.
    rugerman and Fat belly Dog like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I know a few people who MTB with dogs and it's great but please, if you are riding 2 way tracks, keep the dogs behind you. I have hit 2 in the past coming around a corner to find a dog in the middle of the track. No harm done to me or the dogs but it could easily get ugly. One owner even had a go at me for riding too fast..
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

She looks like she is having a great time
    I always worry though that the dog might get too knackered when your riding ( even worse driving or riding a motorbike), but as long as you keep the speed down and not too long I can't see any harm. I would be watching her closely the next day to see if there is any hint of limping or subtle signs of pain.

No issues with it, as long as dog is under control and not always in the way of others, see it a bit in central Otago (mountain biking mecca) Another activity to really tire them out is skiing.... Chase the boss down the hill as quick as you can them you have to run back up the hill while the boss catches his breathe on the tbar back up (guess a dog friendly lift would change that)
    Fat belly Dog likes this.

Yep, need to keep an eye on the dogs and make sure they are not been overworked or worse overheated, dogs will go until they drop. I always check feet condition and am aware of hot pavement after spending many a year in WA where the roads can cook your feet in summer. Not all dogs will have the tank to do a 4 hour ride. My current dog has a big tank and at that go fast trot covers ground at ~8-10km/hr and doesnt seem to tire. I have also built up to the longer rides with her and didnt run her long distances until over 2 years old.

Ziggy has a "get-in behind command" that i use for high bike traffic areas or down hills and a "way you go" for out in front, which she loves racing in front 30m, trying to head you then off again.

What I did notice on the weekend was we were going a bit slower than the average riders, so as not to overwork the dogs, and I need to teach a get off the track command or a left/right heel to get her off the track to let others pass. As she will just run mid track when I slowed down to let others pass.

The beardie that came with us had the habit of running back to find my Sister (her owner) which wasnt good, as you mention, but had a great heel / in behind and no tendency to head like Ziggy does (which is in her bread) - Assume Beadies are more of a hunt type (in behind) breed?
    rugerman and Micky Duck like this.

My dog Holly knows what's what when it comes to mountain bike tyres. She knows to come around the back of the bike if she happens to get on the right side of the bike and approach from the rear to my left side so she runs at 'heel'.

I have every confidence in her knowing what's what in the trails around Arrowtown, but I don't trust other dogs. Did a real neat flip a couple years ago which stuffed my back for a year because someone's dog decided to cut in front of my bike. I collected it mid torso, the bike stopped, but I didn't. The other dog was fine, me not so much.

With Holly, I know her speed so make sure I don't over do it for her. Would like to have a fully functioning dog as long as I can as she isn't getting any younger.