Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: My dogs gone totally deaf after a bird shoot why?

My dogs gone totally deaf after a bird shoot why?

Have just been out shooting a few birds in the vineyards over the weekend with my dog.
    Probably fired around 50 rounds.
    The day after I noticed my Labrador has gone quite deaf, she can hear very loud clapping, but it's got to be very loud.
    Prior to the weekend she was a typical lab, could hear a pie wrapper being taken off from a km away and was on to it.
    I now have a dog that's scared and seems a little freaked out, she's definitely struggling.

Any advise, will take to the vet, but was wondering if anybody has had anything like this happen to their dog?

She's ten years old and in good condition, not fat, well exercised.

Ejected
    Been around the gun much before?

I think most labs could hear or smell a pie wrapper a km away.

Not much help sorry.
    mrs dundee likes this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

I had a young dog of mine , went into a bail up on a mob of pigs with the rest of the dogs . It was open country so I lay down and shot a pig cutting away . Didn't realize my young dog had come back too me . She must have got the whole blast of the 308 . She couldn't hear for a whole week . Took here to the vet (a shit one ) and he told me that there was nothing wrong with here , that was a day after the shot , like I said it took 5 or 6 days until she could hear again . Not keen on the gun either after that incident .
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Yeah plenty, opening weekend she stays home and comes out for a pick up on Sunday for anything we may have missed, then again sunday night, but Sunday night we only shoot maybe 10 ducks but she's in the back of the hide out of the way.
    The rest of the season we shoot most weekends, usual stuff the odd pheasant here and there, maybe a couple of ducks.

Not gun shy at all, in fact you have to hide the things or she gets to excited races around....

Ejected
    Was she in front of you a lot?

Sounds like a bit of industrial deafness which should right itself. On the gun shyness is there a chance she picked up a few pellets?

Shooting in the vines is straight up, the dogs always behind the shot so no barrel blast.
    Was thinking it may come back as well as its happened so quick.

She's definitely not gun shy, went and got the gun to see if she cowards...not at all excited now running around barking waking the kids up.

Sorry read my first post, she's scared cause she can't hear...sits watching and looking around a bit bewildered, although now the guns come out she's pretty excited. Still as deaf as a past though.

Sorry to read of this, Samsbuddy...hope her hearing is restored. I think the gasguns have more impact on hearing...don't deter the birds but sure do everyone else.
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Ejected
    I did, that's why I asked

Dog years and ears

Well I have done the same. Shot goats all day, Dog was to near she didn't come right.(Big cal)One blast to much for her.
    10 years thats 62 in human years.
    My hearing is down on one side more than the other and I am not 62.
    I have a spaniel now the best dog I ever had he is getting near ten and is getting hard of hearing,He's been shot over a lot with shotgun mainly.
    Because of the other dogs ears. Ive keeped this one away from direct blasting which has helped.
    But the hearing to voice is way down from say 4 years ago,He is still alright on the whistle.
    I don't think there is one answer to this they are best kepted away or back from the blasting by at lest a metre back or to the side of the shooter.
    Wirehunt likes this.
    The Voice of Reason, Come let us Reason together...

That was going to be my 2 cents Kiwi-hunter, a ten year old gundog who has had a decade of shooting, it's reasonable to think maybe he is just going deaf? I agree with what you say about position too, I'm mindful of it too now. I know with dogs on deer in the past I've never shot over the top of them for that reason, always bring him in behind or at heel so the muzzle is forward of him, not an always an option with bird dogs, but I'd imagine a rifle is harsher on the ears than a shotty
    Kiwi-Hunter likes this.

Thanks for your comments. Sams hearing has improved heaps, not like it was but a definite improvement. She stays very close now and is very aware of noise, seems to concentrate a little harder to hear what's happening too.
    Not going to take chances with her anymore, shes retired from hunting and no visits to the vineyard either.
    10 years of great service from my old faithful mate.
    Looking for a replacement pup now to do the job, this season will be a little different to go out without a dog.
    Never mind was going to bring a pup on this year to run alongside Sam but with have to start from scratch.

Looking a a Chesapeake, any thoughts on that

you dont have to completly put her away she will adjust to it and you can help by working on hand signals and just letting her do the close stuff .she.l probably be more hurt by you leaving her home and a day out once or twice a week wont hurt.chessies can be strong willed over protective and one mannish .