Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Not a hunting dog as such

Not a hunting dog as such

me and the miss picked up a pup a month ago. She's a handy wee dog. Collie x huntaway. Lovely temperament. She's pretty calm and relaxed and has been loving exploring around the hills.

Just working on sit, go and recall at the moment. She's getting better but a pretty stubborn learner. I'm strugggling a bit with teaching her to stay (hold sit until I release her) but she's getting there.

She's my first pup so have been having a great time with her and learning heaps.

Hoping to have her as a family dog and maybe with a bit of time in the hills she'll develop a smell for deer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    jakewire, P38, veitnamcam and 13 others like this.

P38, veitnamcam, gadgetman and 9 others like this.

Don't push her too hard while she's young. Make sure you have her under control before you give her too much "free range", good luck.

Ejected
    And get her gun broken now, easy at that age.
    jakewire likes this.

P38
    Good looking pup

I'm sure she will be a good hunting mate , just takes time and effort.

Keep up the good work

Cheers
    Pete
    Arguing with an Engineer is like Wrestling a Pig in Mud.

After awhile you realise the Pig loves it.

Nice looking pup. Pro training tip: When you believe your dog is being stubborn, it doesn't understand what you want. Good luck.
    It is difficult to win an argument with an intelligent person! It is near impossible with a stupid person!
    Rebelwood Gundog Training

Quote Originally Posted by Ruff View Post
    Nice looking pup. Pro training tip: When you believe your dog is being stubborn, it doesn't understand what you want. Good luck.
    & when they been doing something for years then 1 day look at you & wont do it, thats not being stubbon either. Its called being a cunt

They (dogs) are ALL hunting dogs
    My father was an avid sheep dog trialist and he would often say - "a sheep dog working is a controlled form of worrying"
    Same with this - you might remember my post with the Aussie Terrier - mates used to crack up and piss themselves when they saw me get out of the Hilux or the Hughs - they weren’t laughing 3-4 days later :-)
    A Poodle can be train to hunt - you need an "indicator" not a Lion killer.

1st road to full success with a Deer dog is to get the dog to realise it needs YOU - to finish the kill and not itself.
    Once the dog realises that it must work in unison with you - your home and hosed - and hosing out the cooler often too
    Ruff, HF1, Micky Duck and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    And get her gun broken now, easy at that age.
    Be intersted to hears guys views and approaches to doing this - I cocked it up once with GWP - bloody shame as it would have been a goodin too
    Last edited by Sarvo; 17-09-2017 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    Be intersted to hears guys views and approaches to doing this - I cocked it up once with GWP - bloody shame as it would have been a goodin too
    Also interested to hear of people's methods for doing this. Will look at starting her on it in the next few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by upnorth uplander View Post
    & when they been doing something for years then 1 day look at you & wont do it, thats not being stubbon either. Its called being a cunt
    No, it means they think you are cunt.
    It is difficult to win an argument with an intelligent person! It is near impossible with a stupid person!
    Rebelwood Gundog Training

My father used to give his heading /huntaway pups to his sister in Dunedin.
    Got them back with manners,basic commands like sit,a stop, get up here etc.
    Didn't start to early.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruff View Post
    No, it means they think you are cunt.
    Yep the cunt that puts them in there place so they dont do it again
    Ruff and Boaraxa like this.

well Ive never had issue with gunshyness so must have done something right...... right from start lots of loud noises at feeding time,banging bowls,tapping iron shed,clapping wood blocks,dogs just wants the dinner and dont give a monkeys about the noise.
    the only gunshy dog Ive had(was a heading dog first and hunting mate 2nd) hunted with me just fine,he would just hang back a bit as I stalked in for shot,he knew the good bit outweighed the bad,just didnt like the bang.sure as shit didnt make him hold back on pigs.
    so lots of loud noises at fun times and you should be fine,surprised Ruff hasnt chimed in on this one????
    Rangidan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    well Ive never had issue with gunshyness so must have done something right...... right from start lots of loud noises at feeding time,banging bowls,tapping iron shed,clapping wood blocks,dogs just wants the dinner and dont give a monkeys about the noise.
    the only gunshy dog Ive had(was a heading dog first and hunting mate 2nd) hunted with me just fine,he would just hang back a bit as I stalked in for shot,he knew the good bit outweighed the bad,just didnt like the bang.sure as shit didnt make him hold back on pigs.
    so lots of loud noises at fun times and you should be fine,surprised Ruff hasnt chimed in on this one????
    Yes - it’s very common for strong eye heading dogs to be gun-shy - hereditary

I have usually done the intro to gunshot via a 22 short fired into the ground beside me when using the pup just out in front excited of something like a dead bird etc

My stuff up with GWP was disciplining my sheep dogs that seemed to lose their ears and manners @ 3-500m away and decided they knew intended direction to go better than me.
    223 Armalite in cruiser with 20 shot mag put a few missiles under their toes occasionally to bring the arrogance back to earth and to my way of thinking.
    Unfortunately - did it once with said GWP on back that had not had full/correct timing of intro to rifle.
    That was it - buggared it
    mace08 likes this.