Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By kiwijames

Thread: Puppy food

Puppy food

Hi guys I have just picked up my GSP pup from jim broadbent and he is on purina puppy chow at the moment, I have always fed my pups either hills or eukanuba, just wondering what people are feeding their pups GSP's in particular?

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Royal Canin Maxi Junior. As wells as sticks, dirt, cat shit, grass, the wife favourite new plants, blanket, the firewood, the kids toys, balls, his bed, the girls new bike handle grips..........
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373763027.364928.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  26.8 KB
    Seems to keep him happy
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Royal Canin Maxi Junior. As wells as sticks, dirt, cat shit, grass, the wife favourite new plants, blanket, the firewood, the kids toys, balls, his bed, the girls new bike handle grips..........
    Attachment 12027
    Seems to keep him happy
    Seems as happy as a pig in shit mate!.Is this your "pup" from the start or end of last year? he's a big bugger or fast grower.how about deer bones and nappies and the neighbours actual cat!.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    Seems as happy as a pig in shit mate!.Is this your "pup" from the start or end of last year? he's a big bugger or fast grower.how about deer bones and nappies and the neighbours actual cat!.
    Yep. He has 10kg on one of his sisters and we expect he will be close to 38kg. Thank Christ we don't do nappies anymore or they would be on the list too. Cats he's going to have to live with as you can only kill so many before you get caught
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Banned
    Yep. He has 10kg on one of his sisters and we expect he will be close to 38kg. Thank Christ we don't do nappies anymore or they would be on the list too. Cats he's going to have to live with as you can only kill so many before you get caught
    Aswome growth and that's a big hound no wonder he supplements his diet.Deer dog? or foul or deer/foul?.

Quote Originally Posted by camo wsm View Post
    Hi guys I have just picked up my GSP pup from jim broadbent and he is on purina puppy chow at the moment, I have always fed my pups either hills or eukanuba, just wondering what people are feeding their pups GSP's in particular?
    Cool. Same litter as Mucko I guess?

Sent from my MT27i using Tapatalk 2
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

Maybe do some research on dry foods containing grain and by products and change to feeding raw. All my hunting guys feed their dogs raw meat from hunted game and it makes a difference. But then that's my job to say that aye.......your dog is 99.8% genetically identical to the gray wolf, gray wolves don't farm and eat wheat or maize. Raw is cheaper than dry too.

We switched from Purina to Eukenuba earlier this year as one of our pointers skin was constantly red, inflamed and falling off, hair falling out etc, etc.Vet just kept prescribing steroids, which bloated him up and long term not good.

Now we are back feeding Eukenuba "Sensitive Skin" but the 12kg bags only last 2 weeks feeding 2 dogs, good thing we have no kids, couldn't afford to feed them too

However skin complaints have all cleared up but we are too bloody scared to change the diet again.

I am thinking maybe you get what you pay for here just like everywhere else?
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by GamePlan View Post
    Maybe do some research on dry foods containing grain and by products and change to feeding raw. All my hunting guys feed their dogs raw meat from hunted game and it makes a difference. But then that's my job to say that aye.......your dog is 99.8% genetically identical to the gray wolf, gray wolves don't farm and eat wheat or maize. Raw is cheaper than dry too.

Yeah mate the plan is to feed him raw meat as well but don't have a steady enough stream of raw game meat for that entirely.... so the dried food will be supplement to this? Im aware of the grain and cereal and fillers in some foods etc so want to get the best dried I can and supplement with raw meat, bones etc

Quote Originally Posted by phillipgr View Post
    Cool. Same litter as Mucko I guess?

Sent from my MT27i using Tapatalk 2
    Im not sure mate will put some pics of him up when I get a chance

Ive got two gsps , my bitch can eat anything and always looks great .My dog does well on " mighty mix " . Not saying high end dry food wouldn't work for him as have not tryed it . . But he does poorly on dog roll and run of the mill dry foods. If you are going to try pup on mighty mix , start with small amounts as is very rich and if he's not toilet trained. I wouldn't go by the feeding guide either , pretty sure it says let pups self feed .
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Attachment 12027
    Seems to keep him happy
    ha ha sounds like he's a pure breed then ! . Mine had a fettish for girls/ woman's nickkers ( no he didn't learn from his master )
    Dirty bugger would swallow them hole the spew the up A day or two later ( normally in front of visitors ) .
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms