Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Rhodesian Ridgebacks

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar

Rhodesian Ridgebacks

Anyone running these at all or know somebody with them
    cheers.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Caretaker
    Yes
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Ha.
    well, perhaps some info on how they go .
    Don't suppose they would be any good as a bird dog as well, though I have a friend who's heeler will fetch ducks.

They were bread for hunting lions and as guard dogs weren't they
    EeeBees likes this.

Seen a couple In the Sounds chassing Pigs , They where Quite hard from memory (Holders) .A Side note , Someone once said they are the most "Amorous" Dogs of all breeds . I thinking they where right . Seen bugger all pure bred dogs , but seen shit loads of crosses??????????
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Hmm... just been reading about them, wondering if they had a following here.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Mate has a purebred bitch, lovely dog but gun shy. Apparently this is common for the bitches to be noise shy so my mate was told. Still she always likes to go hunting, just hides until the action is over then off to find the result.

had a ridgey but he too was terrified of loud noises..... awesome watchdog/pet very loyal. i would have another but not for hunting i think the ones here have had it bred out of them. in africa they would use them in packs to bail lions they would harrass the lion by taking turns rushing in and backing off keeping it bailed till the boss got there to take the shot. crossbred ridgeys probably make good pigdogs cause of the stamina and whatever bailing abilities they may still instinctively have ,they are sight hounds so they do have the tendency to chase so not ideal as a deer dog (some are big enough to mistaken for a deer by the odd shooter who doesnt take the time to identify his target properly.)
    Munsey likes this.

Cheers chaps.
    can't see me trading the Wirehair anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    Cheers chaps.
    can't see me trading the Wirehair anytime soon.
    Take your wire to the Hairdressers , get a ridge shaved , sorted
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Had a Ridgy, Name was Tua or horse lol. 55kg on the hoof. Was a bloody good mate bloody hopeless as a hunting dog. As others have said load noises weren't his bag either.
    One thing he was good at was a guard dog.

We had one 'hunting' our sheep a while back. It was also gunshy, well after the first shot it didn't mind to much. Just 'went to sleep'
    jakewire likes this.

When I was a kid the old man got given two by a local guy who moved to Aussie, they were good pig dogs.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Have met quite a few pig hunters who reckon their line has a bit of ridgeback in it for stopping. Uncommon to see pure-bred ridgebacks in nz although there are a few. IMO in NZ purebred ridgies have a tendency for being timid aggressive which might have limited their popularity. Also quite big which limits speed and increases risk of joint problems/short working life. Yes exceptions exist.
    Ruff likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ethos View Post
    IMO in NZ purebred ridgies have a tendency for being timid aggressive which might have limited their popularity. Also quite big which limits speed and increases risk of joint problems/short working life. Yes exceptions exist.
    yup my brother was breeding them before a messy divorce i got the last pup out of the last litter he was the runt . all his brothers and sisters were very solidly built but this one was very lean but tall between 3 and 5 years old he weighed in at 55-60kg and he wasnt fat . he was my wifes baby and was staunchly loyal to her and very protective a few salesmen were terrified of him . he was a gentle giant but he could give that look that said "i dont like or trust you so best you leave"....didnt like kids or little dogs . wasnt agro with them would just try to avoid them , find a corner to hide in .....