Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Rifle for bush hunting over indicating dog

Rifle for bush hunting over indicating dog

Hi all,
    Chasing recommendations for a suppressed rifle to shoot over a young indicating dog, just about finished her training with .22 and almost time to take her bush.

Thinking of a 308win and shooting subsonics as in a Kaimai rifle build by Dean.

Any other suggestions?

Cheers FBD
    Shearer likes this.

depends on how much you will shoot over dog.....subsonics are ok if all your ducks are in a row,but rat shit if you even slightly off the mark....Im more than happy to use suppressed supersonic loads around the dog....might be a shot a month if we lucky,unless up chasing wallabies where 40 shots a day is common.....
    308 I WOULD BE USING 180GRN all day long.winchester factory sp are awesome load for bush ranges.

Gone but not forgotten
    I got a Bergara takedown 308 with DPT mini centrefire suppressor.
    I have developed subsonic loads with 151gr cast bullets and the Hornady 190gr Sub-X, but I'm hunting with a young dog and a young guy behind the rifle so getting the deer on the ground is important, I'm using mild supersonics (160gr FTX projectiles at 2350fps). I bought another couple of baffles for the DPT today to bring the noise level down a bit lower.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Thanks Fellas,

Yeah a hunt every 2 weeks at best and one shot a month if lucky. My dog is pretty timid but progressing well with the gun proofing with the .22. She will be ready for a centre fire in the next few weeks, have a 7mm-08 unsupressed but won't shot that over her. If I go chasing wallabies around the lakes I might invest in a .223 suppressed

The Bergara might be the go as a NI bush gun and get the 7mm-08 suppressed for slips/ spring River flat hunts.

All good options

Cheers
    rugerman and Micky Duck like this.

A good way to shot train your dog is with a couple of bits of 6x2 about 400 long with a hinge at one end to make a big clapper. Use that around the dog at home and they'll get used to loud noises pretty quick. Start with a softer clap and ramp it up as they get used to it.

Rifle wise 16" barrel 308 with dpt and a few extra baffles is quiet as.

Im using a 45 70 shooting 500gr subs. Miles more energy than a sub 308 and still very quiet. Im lucky, my dog doesnt give a rats ass about noise anyhow.
    berg243 likes this.

Rather then using subs I would be more inclined to just get your suppressor nice and quiet. For example use a DPT with a couple
    of extra baffles added. Simple old short 308 or 708 etc will do the trick. Subs are cool but don’t provide you the same margin of error that full loads do.
    199p and chainsaw like this.

My dog learnt to heel at the sound of the hammer coming back, the hammer never came back until I had full vision of target animal.
    Micky Duck and Phil_H like this.

I use a 16" 308 with the hound. I dont shoot over the top of her as still pretty loud. If I was building a dedicated rifle to shoot over the dog I'd look at 7.62x39 or 300blk suppressed.
    Dublin likes this.

Thanks all,

I use to shoot the 7mm08 around my last dog, he would work pretty close and come into heel for the longer slip shots. The new dog i am trying to training to work that 5 to 10m in front, she is starting to sit on seeing rifle raised and will come in to heel. Training with the .22 is going well can shot 45 degs off over the top, over next few weeks I will introduce the centre fire.

Due for a new rifle so will probably go a good suppressed 308 that has ability to shoot subs if I decide to go that way.

if you go down path of those AWESOME 151grn cast jobbies,you could do much worse than run them with case FULL of trailboss....so they still be reasonably quiet compared to full power load but would be SIMILAR to 30/30 terminally. work up load of course .

Definitely wouldn't use subs while training as it will inevitably lead to having to track wounded animals and likely she won't ever find them and will get confused. You want it to go right 100% the first few times. I don't run a suppressor at all and have just been having me dog sit then getting past her and shooting while she's behind it doesn't faze her at all. Do have a rifle that being built to run a suppressor for tighter work where that's not possible but even then I won't mess with subs as the likelihood of injuring games to high. Will likely run a heavy super ie a 200grainer at 2300-400fps with a dpt.
    7mmwsm and Micky Duck like this.

I’d just use normal ammo with a suppressor, subs would be ok for a finishing shot in the head once the dog has found the deer.
    Danny likes this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

I went and had a chat with local gunshop and will get my existing 7mm-08 fitted with either a DPT magnum or a Hardy Magnum suppressor. Will try that first with standard ammunition.

Thanks for all the feed back.

Any difference between the DPT vs Hardy suppressors

Cheers
    Danny likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat belly Dog View Post
    I went and had a chat with local gunshop and will get my existing 7mm-08 fitted with either a DPT magnum or a Hardy Magnum suppressor. Will try that first with standard ammunition.

Thanks for all the feed back.

Any difference between the DPT vs Hardy suppressors

Cheers
    I'd personally go the DPT as you can add a few baffles. The length in front of the barrel is more effective in regards to noise reduction. A good way to build up to things is having the dog sit behind you and the gun when first introduced it reduces sound alot. Also the 2x4 clapper mentioned or even without the Hinge is bloody good. But seriously wear ear protection I'd say it louder than an unsupressed rifle or atleast it feels it