Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Step down from a ferrari

Step down from a ferrari

With all the talk about deer dogs and some of the advice and comments coming from it got me thinking, is there an in between breed
    With regards to a german pointer being like a ferrari and advice to start out with a lab
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    OPCz

go the lab
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

I've done my research and as I want a dedicated deer dog, I'll be getting a Viszla as a bit more aggro and gutsy than a GSP, so will grab and hold a wounded animal if need be. I worry too much about a Lab barking when excited and a GSP is just too timid for my liking

there are awesome viszla/black lab cross puppies on tm now, I have been very tempted!

Vizsla /lab cross Puppies | Trade Me
    Hunt4life likes this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt4life View Post
    I've done my research and as I want a dedicated deer dog, I'll be getting a Viszla as a bit more aggro and gutsy than a GSP, so will grab and hold a wounded animal if need be. I worry too much about a Lab barking when excited and a GSP is just too timid for my liking
    i'd suggest you do a bit more research mate........ aggro and gutsy are not words i'd use to describe a vizsla... timid and soft is the norm............ and i wouldn't desribe any german as a ferrari, they are more like a ute.
    Wirehunt, Pointer, mucko and 1 others like this.

Emphasis on the "more" rather than a label

Identify your target beyond all doubt! Sorry won't cut it later and no deer is worth the fall out. Safe and happy hunting

an aggro or even a gutsy vizsla is the exception.
    most are typical in temp and hard is not it.
    Pointer likes this.

I might be able to handle a ute then, i need to go down the road and have a yarn with grant, maybe go for a walk or 2 with him
    OPCz

Im just gathering info, still couple of years away at least, cant do any dog justice having pig dogs at home as well, dont have the time and want to do it right
    OPCz

I hear heaps of horror stories about GSP's (who doesnt) but fewer about Viszlas. Is this just coincidental or are Viszlas really easier to handle dogs?

I should add most of the horror stories are about GSPs being absolutely mental

Sent from my MT27i using Tapatalk 2
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

Where do the storys come from phillip, ive seen mental of both breeds, but not there fault, its the owners keeping them as indoor pets, but tell you what... fuck do they hunt when they get to escape the property haha 2 or 3 days at a time
    OPCz

Why are Kawhia and 7mmwsm saying anything about 'hard' when referring to Viszlas? Moonhunt clearly has the measure of pig dogs and I didn't suggest any Viszla nor GSP nor any deer dog should be 'hard'. It's easy to put a gruff accent on when reading your posts. There's a good reason why these two breeds and the equally crazy and needy Weimaraner are generally preferred deer dogs in Europe and NZ. I've seen top performing mongrels in action too, but for dedicated sharp nose and point on deer, my personal choice would be Viszla

Identify your target beyond all doubt! Sorry won't cut it later and no deer is worth the fall out. Safe and happy hunting

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    I've had both Vizsla and GSP and there is no chance a Vizslak will ever be as hardy as a GSP. They are not as solid nor are they well endowed with a coat that will make a true all seasons, all purpose NZ hunting dog.
    I have yet to see a single Weimerana out in the bush but I do know of a very decent one doing trials.
    As with all animals bred by people there are exceptions at both ends of the spectrum.
    Pointer and HF1 like this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Hunt4life, you were the one who said they were more "aggro and gutsy".
    Kawhia and 7mmwsm are simply pointing out that is not the case and if that is your reason for leaning towards that breed then you are mistaken.
    Most of the GSPs I've met would run from a pig and I can't see a visla being much different from the few I've seen.
    But the breed has certainly been flavour of the month for a while now much as GSP's were in their time.
    HF1 likes this.

deerhuntergatherer
    On the same deer / dog page but from a different angle there`s been a dog in a hunting area living with reds for the last month at least, one hunter got a roar then a bark like he`s watching out for them, heard him this morning as well